Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:51 pm

I didn't see any mention in the product description.

I have been shooting high school volleyball and basketball in high school gyms - some larger than others. Sometimes the light is uneven due to placement of the two strobes.

I have been using Skyports to trigger two AB 1600's but I have Cyber syncs in the mail. I plan to switch before the next game.

So I was wondering if the Cyber Commander would work for me inside high school gyms. If so, it would save me from having to run back and forth up and down the stairs.

Here are a couple of pics of the Bees in action.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd26 ... 0282-1.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd26 ... 0438-1.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd26 ... 0437-1.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:41 am

I have been reading that the Cyber Command has a shorter transmission range than the CST. And it has been recommended for quite some time to use a CST on the camera and use the Cyber Commander to control power settings.

There is an extended range setting for the CyberSync receivers. You hold down the test button for a couple of seconds and then you will see the LED flash pattern change. The manual calls this repeater mode, but in my use it has caused the range to extend with just one CST and a CSR.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:41 am

Site Admin

The CC has an range of about 150' due to additional components. You should not have a problem from any point in the gym. Should you run into range issues, you only have to get closer to make adjustments, not physically touching the light. The CST will not have a problem firing anywhere in a HS gym.

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. That should really help...and save my knees!

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Site Admin

You can get the most reliable triggering by setting up the light levels with CC, but actually shooting from a CST on your camera, The will eliminate in distance concerns as far as actually tripping the lights . . . should be good for 350' line of sight.

We're working on improving the range of CC.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 am

Luap wrote:
You can get the most reliable triggering by setting up the light levels with CC, but actually shooting from a CST on your camera, The will eliminate in distance concerns as far as actually tripping the lights . . . should be good for 350' line of sight.

We're working on improving the range of CC.

Paul,

If the CC is not firing strobes reliably, as some have reported, how is communication with the strobe (i.e., setting power levels, etc.) more reliable than firing the lights? Is this due to some handshaking or something, where the strobe communicates back to CC (i.e., the strobe telling CC that it got the change power command, and it has been set), so that the CC knows for sure that the strobe is setup correctly?

Secondly, is the CC's antenna a PCB (printed circuit board, not Paul C Buff) antenna, instead of a similar antenna to the CST? I realize that there is no antenna protrusion on the CC, so I would think it is either a PCB or possibly a chip antenna. The reason I ask, is your last statement, about working on the range of the CC. If one were to buy a CC now, and have range issues, would the CC be able to be sent back to have the components updated to allow for the improved range, or does this require an entire PCB replacement?

I eventually want to get a CC, and really think I would like to have one (mainly for the flash meter), but after putting together my package, I think I'm going to have to wait on it for now, just due to funding. Instead, I think I'm just going to go with a CST for now, and maybe get the CC later this year (maybe a birthday present or something)...

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]