Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi guys-

My B800 was recently in for repair. The notes on the repair slip said something about an IC that was replaced and a capacitor. I got it back and its working fine again. I have noticed that when I plug in a CSRB+ the B800 will light up the dump lamp and won't fire if I hit the test button. Unplug the CSRB+ and it works correctly again. Sometimes the CSRB+/CC works perfectly. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I do believe that this odd behavior may have caused the first failure of the B800.

Corey

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Site Admin

I assume you are using the Cyber Commander when this happens? If so, what do CC say the light is set to? If it's set up right, you should be able to control the B800 from the CC and fire it at the power selected at the CC.

If you just plug a CSRB+ into a light via the telephone remote jack without first setting it up with CC this can certainly happen. It sounds like the CSRB+ is being instructed to disable the light. Give us a bit more about how the light and CC are set up and we'll get you going. I doubt this has anything to do with the repair.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Site Admin

make sure the light is turned on before you plug in the RJ11 cord. Also, is there a white bar under the corresponding channel bar on the CC when the dump light comes on? Or is it gray? What channel are you using, and does the problem persist if you use a different channel? Are you sharing channels between two receivers (including on, but not used battery recievers) Are you "opening from studio" or just assigning the channel?

TS

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Yes, I am using a Cyber Commander when this happens. I have the the B800 turned on and plug the CSRB+ into the B800 everything is working fine. The CSRB+ is set to channel 1. Cyber Commander is also on Channel 1 and the white bar is under channel 1. Do some shooting. Turn the light off and hang out for a while. Turn the light on. The Dump LED is on. Hit fire and it won't. Unplug the CSRB+ and the light works fine. Plug the CSRB+ back it the dump LED comes back on and it won't fire. Shut the whole thing down. Write tech support. I have not been using load from studio. Everything seems to be set correctly in the CC when I power it on and it works for initial use. I have not tried this on different channels. As far as I know, the other receiver I own does not have charged batteries in it.

Thanks in advance,
Corey

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:28 am

Site Admin

OK, first do the open from studio proceedure initially. You can then save the set up, and load from the set up for future shoots. (the CC will retain the last setting used, so if you do not change anything, reloading should not be required). Also, be sure to attach the RJ11 after the light is turned on. Also, if you remove the memory card, does the problem persist? Also, be sure all model lamp buttons are pushed in and the slider is to the far right. Also, do you have the light plugged into a surge protector? If so, try directly to the wall.

TS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]