Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ] 

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:04 pm

Having used the Cyber Commander for a while now, I have a couple observations that I'd like to share, both for PCB, Inc. as well as those who might be considering adding this product to their setup.

First, I have to say that acquiring the CC has made a distinct positive difference in my ability to shoot my subjects (almost always table-top products for an international consumer products company). The ability to save configurations and quickly change back and forth between them when shooting a series of similar products has enabled me to not only streamline my process, but also to improve the quality and consistency of my shooting. I don't make these claims lightly.

I initially thought that the meter would be a "nice to have" thing, but not a big deal for my shooting. I always shoot a gray card while tethered, and fine-tune the light levels by measuring the results of test photos while setting things up. As it turns out, I have ended up making good use of the meter capability by homing in on the appropriate exposure much more quickly than the iterative method I use to use. I still have to fine-tune it, but I'm rarely more than 0.2 stops away from where I need to be now when shooting test shots. That speeds up the process significantly.

I ordered the CST along with the CC, and I'm very glad I did. I can see where the entire system would be much less convenient without it. Having to pull the CC off of the shoe mount and then putting it back on would be a pain, and would potentially risk moving the camera between shots when I'm shooting composites (which I do quite frequently).

In fact, now that I've used it for a while I would actually prefer that the CC had not even been designed to work as a shoe-mounted trigger at all. I would gladly give up that capability if it meant that the CC could be a little larger, perhaps utilize an antenna similar to the CST, three batteries perhaps instead of two (which might enable the use of NiMH cells), and more user-friendly buttons. The joystick buttons are OK, but I have difficulty pressing them just the right way sometimes, especially when metering. A meter button on the same side of the CC as the dome would seem to be more intuitive, or perhaps simply a button that's easier to press accurately on the front. I know these features would come at some cost, but now that I've tasted what it's like to use this type of control, it would be an easy sell.

Some other wonderful additions would be:
- a quicker way to select "all" for the active lights, since it's such a frequent activity
- a quick way to turn off all modeling lights (and back on) -- this may not be as useful to other people, but it sure would be to me. I currently do this by selecting "Group 8", which I never assign any lights to. This effectively puts all my lights in standby mode when selected.
- larger (wider) graph when less than 16 lights are in use (which is most of the time for most people, I would think)

Even with the current configuration, a bunch of shortcuts could be had by checking to see if more than one "button" is pressed simultaneously (ie. if user pulls both joysticks down, select "all lights" or something along those lines). Since these are joysticks, there would be quite a few combinations of the two that would allow for shortcuts. For me, quickly being able to load different configurations would be wonderful... you could easily set this up if the UI for the CC would allow multiple button checking.

One frustration I currently have has to do with a process I have adopted when shooting. Once I've gotten everything set the way I need it for a given shot, I first shoot a "reference" shot with gray card for assistance with processing the subsequent photos later. I've determined over time that I get better consistency if I test fire the strobes first, wait for them to recycle, then shoot the actual image. This seems to bring all the lights to a common starting point when shooting. The frustration induced by the CC is that it appears I can't test fire the strobes as the first action after "waking up" the unit. No matter how long I wait, the test button won't fire the strobes if it's the first action after waking it up. Any other action first will then allow me to test fire them, but why should I have to do something else just to pop the lights?

I think I can safely say that the CC has changed my shooting process for the better, and you'd have to pry it from my cold hands to get it away from me at this point. I realize this is a "first generation" product, and I'm perfectly happy to be part of the initial wave. Given the possibility of having the unit now as-is vs. waiting for a more refined product, I'd want it now the way it is (warts and all). It's that good!

Regards -
David

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:28 pm

I too love the Cyber Commander. Unlike David, I use it as my hot shoe trigger quite often, but I understand what he is saying.

However, what I'm really writing about is something I see as a glaring oversight in the product. I shoot many places on location with the Vagabond and with AA powered strobes. This means packing things in bags. I pack tight to minimize the amount of stuff to carry. My issue has been that I am running through batteries on the Cyber Commander because there is no true off or "hold" switch to allow the unit to ignore unintentional button presses while in a bag. Is the only work around available to remove a battery every time I place it in a bag?

I'm hoping for a firmware fix that allows for maybe an Up, Down, Enter or a time held on the Enter button will actually power off/sleep and lock out input or something of that sort. I spend very little time in the studio so the CC spend most it's time on camera at a shoot or in a bag. 9 times out of 10 when I open my bag the CC's LCD is lit and awake unless it is out of batteries altogether.

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:03 am

Site Admin

If you pack it so the buttons don't get pushed, the sleep battery life should be 6 months or more with alkalines and close to two years with lithiums.

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:06 pm

Luap wrote:
If you pack it so the buttons don't get pushed, the sleep battery life should be 6 months or more with alkalines and close to two years with lithiums.

And I understand that it will go that long when the buttons aren't pushed. It's not always quite that easy to pack it in such a way to do that. Here is the basic way my bag is for a normal shoot.

I just think it would be prudent to have a way to actually lock out accidental input from the two buttons that protrude from the body of the Cyber Commander. Outside of this, it is one of the most capable devices I have ever used for it's price/features ratio and truly outstanding for a 1.0 product.

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:00 pm

The CC fits nicely inside an empty 100mm box top cigarette pack for protecting the LCD when packed away. It is always wise to remove the batteries from any electronic device when it's in storage, and in this case, the batteries fit neatly in the bottom of the pack before sliding the CC in place.

Why complicate things? You have to set up your gear upon arrival anyway, and in this case, your CC is protected from battery leakage as well as from LCD damage. If you don't smoke, pick an alternate free shipping box, or be creative with gaffers tape and cardboard....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2689/430 ... 076c_b.jpg

Voyager

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:11 pm

I do remove the batteries for storage, and storage is not an issue I'm worried about.

The case seems like a good solution for the current issue, and I'm going to look into that. Thanks. However, I don't think that wishing the unit had some sort of basic off or hold type function is "complicating things".

Also, I do have to set up my gear upon arrival, but I often shoot at several locations per shoot and it is easier to toss the unit in the bag. Having to think about placing it in a protective case each time moving between setups is somewhat complicating things. Most of the time on shoots, I don't need an extra thing to think about.

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:54 pm

escaport wrote:
I do remove the batteries for storage, and storage is not an issue I'm worried about.

The case seems like a good solution for the current issue, and I'm going to look into that. Thanks. However, I don't think that wishing the unit had some sort of basic off or hold type function is "complicating things".

Also, I do have to set up my gear upon arrival, but I often shoot at several locations per shoot and it is easier to toss the unit in the bag. Having to think about placing it in a protective case each time moving between setups is somewhat complicating things. Most of the time on shoots, I don't need an extra thing to think about.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trivializing your concern. It was meant as a lighthearted solution to a situation that we all recognize. When I'm using the CC, it mainly lives in a shirt pocket, so false triggers are not an issue. The cigarette pack was a bonus brain drizzle to answer my need to protect the CC LCD in transit, and since I have had surprise (bad) issues with batteries left in various devices over the decades, a part of my normal work flow is to remove batteries from battery powered tools as a matter of course now when a shoot is over. Even with my Pocket Wizards, which have an on/off switch.

I suppose I have a fear that moving the focus from developing the feature set to spending development time on tweaking the human interface will slow things down. Of course, that isn't the case at all. Anyway, you have a valid concern, and I did not mean to brush it aside. Sorry for my choice of words....

Voyager

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:03 pm

I have to pack up my gear and shoot products on-site about 1/3 of the time... as such, I've yet to come up with a "final plan" on packing the CC. So far it involves removing the batteries, just because I don't feel like I've got a good way to keep that from happening at present.

Additionally, though, I had some "screen protectors" hanging around from my days of using a Palm (remember those??) and cut one to put on the CC screen. So far it seems to work beautifully. Doesn't diminish the image at all, which I was a little concerned about given the status of my over-40 eyes....

I'm sure I'll eventually find a carrying case somewhere that I like for it. I frequently don't have a shirt pocket to use -- does anyone know of a nice belt-clip type of case that would fit? I've seen where some are attaching a zip cord, but I don't have the heart to drill holes in the thing just yet. Maybe later.

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Well, in the interim I just ordered this case for the CC.

I have some 1/8" foam rubber craft sheets from a Michael's or JoAnn's that I'm going to line the interior with. I hope it won't be too large. My work gives me a good discount with them so it was a pretty easy decision.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:00 pm

While we're talking about "add-ons," I've taken one of those silicon rubber wrist bracelets (used to celebrate various social causes) and wrapped it around the perimeter of my CC. It fits snugly and protects the micro SD card slot from dust and moisture, as well as providing some edge protection.

As mentioned, I've also applied a protection film over the screen. I'm still considering grinding down the 0/1 button a bit.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ]