Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ] 

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:00 pm

where I will be using my 1D4 in AI servo but still need to use OCF. What is my best solution Alien Bees, or Einsteins? Anyone out there have any experience with this? If I shoot at my max sync speed I would then be relying on the flash duration and recycle time between shots to freeze the action. I could position one or 2 units outside the ring but what would be the approximate maximum suggested distance for placement of the strobe to get this to work?

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Site Admin

Einstein would have a faster flash duration at any power rating vs. the Bees at anything below full power, where it will be virtually equal to a B1600.

The lower the flash power, the faster the flash duration and the faster the recycle time. Different modifiers will throw the light farther but narrower, or wider and less far. ISO and aperture will also affect the exposure at any one distance.

Also, the closer the light is to the arena area, the bigger the difference in intensity you will get from one end to the next. So if the lights were right on the edge; 1/4 of the arena away, you will get a certain aperture. Let's use f/16 as an example. Halfway across the arena, you will have 2 stops less intensity, so f/8. At the far end, you will have 2 stops less than that, so f/4.

To even this out, you will need lights to cover Zones of the arena, and/or back the lights off from the edge. Unfortunately, this will vary from venue to venue.

As for the maximum distance, we would need to know what the widest aperture is that you are willing to use, as well as the maximum ISO. Also helpful is how big of an area you need to light per light.

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:54 pm

I have shot many USEF sanctioned Hunter/Jumper, Grand Prix events and I would NEVER use strobes at an indoor venue without the specific permission of the head steward and/or judge of each particular event. Even if you receive the stewards blessing you still may get complaints from competitors. Depending on the rating of the show there are too many dollars at stake for a boneheaded photographer to inadvertently spook/booger an animal and injure a rider or cripple a horse. Don't even think of using strobes unless you are carrying $1.5 – 2 million in liability insurance. Some of these animals have a value of a nice, medium sized, home. That said ...

Einsteins are the way to go. Two of them. Action mode. 1/4 power or less. 8” Reflectors and 30 degree grids if you have them aimed at point of action. You'll figure out the rest.

Best of luck.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 pm

This is a private event at a large farm. The strobes will not be a problem. I just do not want to have to use more than 2 if I can help it. The Einstein's seem like the way to go triggered by either Cybersyns or PW. I just need to decide on what modifier will be best.

Top Top

#

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:42 am

86" soft or extreme silver PLM with diffuser will give soft, diffused, broad and relatively efficient light but will be large and potentially obtrusive. Smaller PLM's will do the same but with progressively harder light and less overall output. 22" HOBD with diffusion sock would give fairly broad, relatively diffused light and be less conspicuous. Various reflectors - 7", 8.5", 11" LTR, 22" HOBD will give hard, efficient, very intense and directional light.

I'd give some consideration to bouncing strobes off the ceiling or up high on the walls if the color will allow. That is likely to be your broadest ultimate light source and potentially far enough away to enable pretty even coverage of the area with a couple of strobes. The 11" LTR might help with this. You can raise the strobes up high so that direct light will be less likely to hit any onlookers or horses right in the face.

Top Top

#

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:29 am

Site Admin

Up close, the 86" PLM will give more of a wrapping light (think: softer shadows) than smaller modifiers. As the lights are backed off, the closer to a point source of light all of them become. At some point 86" vs. 7" are indistinguishable in thier shadow characteristics. I can see this happening in a horse arena easily. The different sizes of PLMs actually do not affect output by more than a few tenths of a stop.

The smaller metal reflectors (7", 8.5", 11") have beam spreads from 80 degrees down to 28 degrees. The narrower the beam spread, the more efficiently the light is thrown. Conversely, the narrower the beam spread, the less amount of area is lit. The most popular reflectors for arena lighting are the 8.5" for wider coverage and the 11" for higher intensity.

The concern with 2 lights is not so much about intensity, but more about evenness of coverage. Area closer to the light will be brighter than area further away, regardless of the power of light. The trick then become more about placement and feathering.

Top Top

#

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:22 pm

I shoot a few Horse Show, Barrel Races and a lot of indoor and out door Night Rodeo
I use 4 X 1600 White lightning with Pocket Wizard. I Set them different due to the arena set up being different at each show. I have 11" long throw rarely used. I use 8.5 most of the time. The biggest complaint I get is people who are not competing. I continually talk with competitors about the flash and they ask what flash. I also set the flash up only high enough to get the light for the shot I need Usually 3/4 on the 1600's I have also found through trial and error that 8 ft off the ground level seems to give me best light. The only problem I have with blurring is when I miss my focus point.
Pick your spot to set them where you know will be a lot of action' I also tie my light stand to the fence with small ratchet straps They don't fall over that way. It doesn't keep the stands pretty but my lights don't fall over Hope some of this helps.

Top Top

#

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Last Stop wrote:
I shoot a few Horse Show, Barrel Races and a lot of indoor and out door Night Rodeo
I use 4 X 1600 White lightning with Pocket Wizard. I Set them different due to the arena set up being different at each show. I have 11" long throw rarely used. I use 8.5 most of the time. The biggest complaint I get is people who are not competing. I continually talk with competitors about the flash and they ask what flash. I also set the flash up only high enough to get the light for the shot I need Usually 3/4 on the 1600's I have also found through trial and error that 8 ft off the ground level seems to give me best light. The only problem I have with blurring is when I miss my focus point.
Pick your spot to set them where you know will be a lot of action' I also tie my light stand to the fence with small ratchet straps They don't fall over that way. It doesn't keep the stands pretty but my lights don't fall over Hope some of this helps.

Thank you so much that is very helpful.

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:59 am

Last Stop wrote:
I shoot a few Horse Show, Barrel Races and a lot of indoor and out door Night Rodeo I use 4 X 1600 White lightning with Pocket Wizard.

Last Stop, Do you have a website or online gallery where you post your strobed rodeo images? Thank you for the info as well.

Top Top

#

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:13 am

What is needed to get the Einsteins to work in HSS or Hypersync?

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ]