Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Can someone explain how this works? How does the Einstien adjust power when you adjust the F/stop? Is it automatic after I make the correct exposure. I do youth sports photos, most of them outside. The light is constantly changing with clouds and/or time of day. Can I assume after I set up my shot for correct ambient to flash, any changes I make to adjust for changing ambient will adjust my flash power as well?

I would be very interested in hearing from users that use and understand how this thing works before I invest in another wireless trigger. I have the PWII's and Paul buffs triggers but this sounds like it might be worth the investment if it does what I am thinking what it does.

Thanks
Dan

Top Top

#

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Assuming you have the Mini or Flex on your camera set to Full manual under the power tracking tab the light will track power to keep the same exposure when you change f-stop. If you want to change the amount of light from the strobe you must either use an AC3 or use your flash exposure comp in your camera to adjust the power from the light. at least I think that's right. I am using a flex TT5 with an AC3 to talk to my MC2 and it works well.

Top Top

#

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. I used to own the flex and tt for canon but returned them because of range issues with my 580ex.

So let me get this right, I would use the control on the flash to setup the initial flash exposure and from there if I change my f/stop for ambient, than my flash will compensate up to six stops? Do I do this by using my ec on camera? Do I need the ac3 if I'm only using 1 flash?

Thanks again

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:58 am

@dphotoman
PowerTracking works in both auto and manual with an AC3. Also works with just the Mini/MC2 combo

@photodan
Change your shutter speed, not aperture, for ambient. But yes, once you have the correct exposure you can change aperture and Mini/Flex and MC2 combo will adjust power of the E640. Adjustments via FEC or EC are incremental.

Also, if you are simply using a Mini and an MC2 with a D700 you have control of the full range of E640 power if you make adjustments via EC (+/- 5).

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]