Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 20 posts ] 

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Guys, I just saw the new Einstein and I was wondering if someone can make a simple point by point comparison between it and the other Bees.

The first thing I see that I like better is the more powerful modeling lamp and the shorter flash duration.

Also, will it not be available in colors? :(

Thanks

George

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Site Admin

the einstein vs. B1600:
-640 Ws on each
-full to 1/256 vs full to 1/32 adjustment
-faster flash duration at lower power vs longer flash duration at lower power (max on each will be in the 1/550- 1/600 range)
- better color consistency option (+/- 50K vs +/- 400K)
-250 watt model lamp vs. 150 watt
-modular $29.95 reciever (full function) vs $69.95 (basic) or $89.95 (full function) reciever
-easily repeatable power adjustment in 1/10 stop increments vs. stepless power slider
-Frosted pyrex dome vs no dome
-better accessory mount vs original AB accesory mount
-auto switching universal power (use anywhere in the world) vs dedicated 110V or 220V version
-Slave eye on top of unit vs the back
-1.7 second recycle vs 2 seconds
-audible recycle indicator vs no audible recycle indicator
- both have visual recycle indicator
-umbrella shaft tube runs full length of body vs 1.5"- 2" umbrella shaft tube
-no remote RJ11 jack (not needed) vs remote RJ11 jack

And no, no colors other than black.

TS

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:00 pm

Site Admin

Correction to Tech:

Einstein has Full to 1/256 Power.
B1600 shifts color by about -400°K from Full to 1/32. Same applies to almost all other monolights regardless of price).
B1600 t.1 flash duration increases from about 1/600 to 1/300 second as you reduce power. Einstein t.1 flash duration decreases from about 1/600 to 1/10,000 second as you reduce power.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:40 pm

Site Admin

I appologize for the bad math skills :)

A NOTE: I did change the incorrect info so any future perusers don't pull information from that without reading further. I did not add the expounding info, however.

TS

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:43 pm

More questions. First, I counted and from 1/2 to 1/256 is only 8 steps. Does one count the 1/1 too?

Second, with such a latitude in power, that means I could as well have an einstein as any of the lower powered units and still NOT be overpowered so to speak? Ie, more flexibility..?

Any reason for the lack of colors? Cost too high? That's one thing I really liked about the bees, the option of being a little different from others. Hell, I'd personally pay a little extra for interchangeable covers in different colors.

GEorge

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:05 pm

guiri wrote:
Any reason for the lack of colors? Cost too high? That's one thing I really liked about the bees, the option of being a little different from others. Hell, I'd personally pay a little extra for interchangeable covers in different colors.

GEorge

LOL

I would pay $50-60 extra for a contemporary housing with side panels of extruded aluminum with cooling fins, black or gunmetal anodized color, or pink :-)

The present white on black oval Einstein logo on the sides cheapens the look a little to my eye but that's because the innards are so advanced :-)

Sincerely,
Michelle

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:28 pm

I swear. As soon as I saw your name, I thought, PINK and you didn't disappoint. What is it with chicks and pink? :)

I saw the close ups of the new unit and I have got to say that I don't think they look all that good. Mind you, as long as it's a good unit but still, I would love some cool looks too and yes, I would pay a little more for the option. Pauuuuuuuuuuuuul :)

Top Top

#

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:19 am

To give credit where it's due, she did also say "gunmetal" :)

I think extruded aluminum sides with fins was a great idea too and would lend the unit a high tech look in tune with the innards, and help with cooling. But i suspect Paul has invested quite a fair bit in plastic molds for the present housing.

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:19 am

She did AND the stuff with the fins went right over my head which is why I didn't mention it :)

It was funny 'cause the first time I read it, I got all impressed by the fins and stuff but never finished. Then I happened to see her name and I'm "should be something pink in there" or "didn't she mention pink" and sho nuff!

It's ok though, you are who you are and take no crap for it Michelle! :)

In my house MY bathroom is purple, a "manly" purple of course but still purple

:)

Top Top

#

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:21 am

Alex.K.NY wrote:
i suspect Paul has invested quite a fair bit in plastic molds for the present housing.

Yeah but he could pour some dye in there couldn't he?

I'll take a pink one..

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 20 posts ]