Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ] 

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Real newbie here.
Ordered an Alienbee strobe.
Wonder if can be triggered by a Phottix Odin trigger.
I see some reference to pocket wizard.
Not familiar with much of this equipment.
thanks

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:29 pm

Site Admin

Info here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1070215

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Luap wrote:

Thanks

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:33 am

I have the Odin. It will trigger a PCB light just fine using the 1/8" sync cord that comes with the Odin. The Odin is a TTL radio trigger for Canon speedlites - it doesn't turn a monolight into a speedlite though. When used to trigger a PCB light it's just a dumb, manual trigger - no remote power adjustment, no HSS, no TTL.

That being said, I did experiment with using the Odin to trigger a Canon 580-EXII and then adding in an Einstein triggered optically. The results looked pretty good! It seemed like the Einstein was triggered by the TTL pre-flash, allowing the Odin to account for the Einsteins's contribution, and then the Einstein also fired with the real exposure-making flash. You could try it and see what you think. For this to work I'd think you'd need an Einstein specifically and it'd need to be at a relatively low power because it doesn't have time to recharge in-between these two flashes.

Also, a decent way to integrate Speedlites and PCB lights is to put a Cybersync CST in an Odin receiver's hot shoe. Odin is also backward-compatible with the less expensive Phottix Strato receiver which works fine for this purpose. You can just stick the Phottix receiver+CST in your camera bag or whatever. I put the Odin controller in my camera's hot shoe and keep the Cyber Commander in my pocket and that way I have remote control of the power of everything.

Top Top

#

Thu May 28, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi Itwimberly,
Quote:
Also, a decent way to integrate Speedlites and PCB lights is to put a Cybersync CST in an Odin receiver's hot shoe. Odin is also backward-compatible with the less expensive Phottix Strato receiver which works fine for this purpose. You can just stick the Phottix receiver+CST in your camera bag or whatever. I put the Odin controller in my camera's hot shoe and keep the Cyber Commander in my pocket and that way I have remote control of the power of everything.

Can I use Odin with Odin Rx plugged into the Einstein not the Strato. Just to trigger then like you said use the Cyber+CTS and Odin Rx and power using that.

Top Top

#

Thu May 28, 2015 4:05 pm

Site Admin

I think you are asking if you can use the Cyber Commander and the CSXCV recievers (plugged into the Einstein) for adjustment only, keeping the Cyber Commander off camera in a pocket or on a lanyard.

Then use Phottix remotes (of any style) with a Phottix on camera as a trigger and the Phottix receiver plugged into the sync jack for triggering.

If this is correct, then yes, this can be done.

Top Top

#

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Has anyone experienced issues syncing to AB's at high speed with the Odins? I've also tried the Pixel Kings... both clips massively after 1/200's

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:23 am

Site Admin

I have not tested them, but much of this will depend on the flash you use and more so, the camera. Also, I know Pixel Kings have different version firmware, so be sure you are using the firmware for the correct camera.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Ok new question about this. If I have a Einstein using the CC in hand to turn power up and down and a cyber sync trigger on the camera. Is there a way to make my speed lights trigger also? Or would it be simpler to have them as slaves?

2nd question is if I B400 or 2 could I trigger them AND control there power with CC?

Thanks

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:05 pm

Site Admin

Keano12 wrote:
Ok new question about this. If I have a Einstein using the CC in hand to turn power up and down and a cyber sync trigger on the camera. Is there a way to make my speed lights trigger also? Or would it be simpler to have them as slaves?

2nd question is if I B400 or 2 could I trigger them AND control there power with CC?

Thanks

Ideally, you would have CSRB+ receivers on the speedlights. This would allow you to individually trigger and meter them, as well as group them. You would not, however, be able to control their power. By having the CSRB+ recievers not only allows this functionality, it also maintains proper functionality with, say, Einstein. If your speedlights triggered as slaves when metering Einstein, this would alter the meter reading of Einstein, and throw off calculations when adjusting (i.e. CC expects all light to raise or lower, but only Einstein light will raise or lower).

And yes, CSR+ or CSRB+ receivers can control power of any of our lights with a telephone port (including AlienBees, Zeus, WhiteLightning Ultra, UltraZap, and X series).

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ]