Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ] 

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:37 am

Here is the situation:
1) ABR800 will fire if using std sync cable to my D700
2) ABR800 will fire when using the built in optical trigger
2) When I take a FlexTT5 and the RJ11 cable from an AB800 which is firing fine and hook it up to the ABR800 using the same standard RJ11 cable, insert the mini-plug to disable the optical trigger and the ABR800 will not fire.
Any way to test the RJ11 socket to see if it "active" or any other suggestions?

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Site Admin

Ok, I cannot troubleshoot anything specific to the PW, but it seems to be working OK with another light. Even still it may not hurt to check with them incase there is a specific scenario that is know to reproduce that condition.

On our end, I offer this:
First, are the model lamp buttons pressed in and the power slider set to full?

Second, are you using a 4 conductor cross over cable (if the two ends are held together, there should be 4 contacts in each end. The order of the colored insulation for each wire of the contacts should be reversed from one end to the other)? If not, it needs to be a four conductor crossover type phone cord.

Third, have you tried the cord installed in each direction? Given there are four conductors, the reversal of a cable may lead to triggering in one orientation but not the other.

Fourth, does the light fire when you instal the RJ11 into the light? Then into the PW?

Lastly, use the same power cord and outlet for each light. A different and faulty power cord or power outlet (or extension cord or power strip) can lead to a non-functioning system.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 pm

How are you using the PW Flex TT5 and the RJ11 cord? Are you running the RJ11 to a LG4X first and then the PW from a sync cord? I guess I am confused as to your configuration.

I run four Alien Bee lights with PocketWizards 1 MiniTT1 (on camera) and 4 FlexTT5 units (on Bee). I connect each FlexTT5 unit to the Alien Bees via a small sync cord. The RJ11 is not used in this configuration. I also have no need for the dummy plugs to disable the optical trigger as I am using a sync cord and that disables the optical trigger. That works fine.

I have also used a different setup where I run the RJ11 cable to a LG4X from each light, dummy plugs used in this case, and one Flex TT5 connected to the LG4X via a sync cord. The Mini TT1 is on the camera and then I have one PocketWizard for four lights. This forces me to run RJ11 from all of the lights to the LG4X, but saves money on multiple FlexTT5 units.

I am confused because your subject line says it won't fire with a FlexTT5 but I see no mention of how you are connecting that to a RJ11. Are you using an AC9 as well? If so, I would suggest trying the setup I stated above and see if that words first, then you know there is an issue with either the RJ11 or AC9.

Top Top

#

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:24 am

Sorry I was not specific on the AC9 as the interface between the Flex and ABR800. I fixed problem by using a different extension cord as suggested in the initial response.

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Pete,
I am trying to use the setup u describe. A sync cord between the alien bee and the flextt5 with no results. Do I have to configure the tt5 in some way. I just plugged the cord into the sync port on the ab 800 and the p2 port on the flex. it will not fire . cant seem to find any info on the website. thanks for info !

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Site Admin

Is it a stereo cord (two black bands on the plug), or is it an attenuated cord (most from Radio Shack are)? If either of these are true, then it will not work. You need a mono non attenuated cord to work with pocket wizards.

Top Top

#

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 am

I bought a radio shack mono cord . my luck it is not the one I need ! I will check the package ... thank you for your reply..

it is an attenuated mono cord...

Top Top

#

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:08 am

Site Admin

The attenuated cords can filter the trigger signal. Radio Shack sells a 6' cord (last we checked) that will work, but their shorter cords tend to not work.

This cord will work: http://www.paulcbuff.com/cssc.php

as will most any other mono cord specified for this purpose from camera retailers.

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:53 am

I have the same problem with pocket wizards TT1 and TT5 set up using an ABR800. I have purchased a AC9 and it appears the only way it attaches to ABR800 is via the RJ11 plug. The TT1 and TT5 system work perfect with my speed lights. Fresh batteries and all updates performed.
When I connect the TT1 on camera and TT5 with the AC9 on top plugged into ABR800, both units blink to indicate they are on and working. The TT5 unit that is plugged into the ABR800 flashes red when the shutter is pressed. In addition, I can not get the ABR800 to fire when the test button is pressed on the TT5. The ABR does fire when I turn on the ARB800 and insert the RJ11 into the ABR but does not fire when I insert the other end into back of AC9. Have followed sequencing of items per instructions. Do I have a bad AC9, cord or something else? I am using the RJ11 cord that was supplied with the AC9.

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Site Admin

With PocketWizard products not being our products, we are not qualified to effectively troubleshoot thier system.

Some points that need to be observed with our system, and presumably theirs as well. Make sure your power supply is grounded. To rule out as many variables as possible, plug the light straight into the wall, and remove any power strips or extension cords.

Be sure your power slider is set to FULL (far right). Also, be sure your RJ11 cord does not wiggle in the connection. We have seen them not fit properly.

Otherwise, we will need to defer you to PocketWizard support. 1-802-658-0038

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ]