Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 18 posts ] 

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:23 pm

kenyee wrote:
DJP wrote:
Do you know if the Kacey insert for the Einstein will work with Bowens QuickRing? I've been using the SP insert but haven't used it with anything too large yet and some of these posts are getting me a bit concerned.

Nothing to be concerned about really. I just happened to be tugging at the grid pretty hard (not holding the softbox from one hand) from the upper left corner when I had a plume on a quickring and it popped off. It's not something you'd do normally.

The Kacey insert won't fit a quickring (outer diameter is too wide on Kacey insert and the stupid quickring only takes narrower than normal inserts)....yes, it's annoying and I gave them a huge wishlist at the start of the year for a quickring v2 (that will hopefully include a spigot connection so we can use octas with it instead of only rectangular boxes)...

The Bowens Quick Ring takes 140mm diameter inserts. The Kacey AB insert is 152mm (6 inches) in diameter. Even if one were to cut the Kacey insert down to the proper size for the Quick Ring, it still wouldn't work. It would not be possible to mount the QR+Kacey insert on the front of an Einstein. I also use a conventional dished SP Studio Systems AB insert (140mm):

The SP holds very well on my Einsteins (knock wood) and I have used softboxes up to 36" x 48".

By drilling out the 1/4-20 threaded hole on the Quick Ring (that is widening its diameter) to allow a softbox rod end to fit, octas can be used:

This image shows a 5' Photoflex octa mounted on a Bowens Quick Ring:

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:37 am

tetrode wrote:
By drilling out the 1/4-20 threaded hole on the Quick Ring (that is widening its diameter) to allow a softbox rod end to fit, octas can be used:

But you're still hanging that octa off the Einstein head.
If you had a spigot hole, you could mount the quickring on a metal umbrella adapter and hang the Einstein head off that. Hanging big modifiers off a head, no matter what mount, just makes me nervous...that's why I asked Bowens for that feature in the QR V2 :)

Top Top

#

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 pm

kenyee wrote:
But you're still hanging that octa off the Einstein head.
If you had a spigot hole, you could mount the quickring on a metal umbrella adapter and hang the Einstein head off that. Hanging big modifiers off a head, no matter what mount, just makes me nervous...that's why I asked Bowens for that feature in the QR V2 :)

My AB speed ring inserts have all been modified with a hole that lines up with the Einstein's umbrella tube. Consequently, as I've posted before, it is a simple matter to secure any speed ring to the light using just a length of threaded rod:

With the rod in place, it is impossible for a modifier to fall from the light. Even without the threaded rod, my 5' octa and 36" x 48" softbox are held securely on my Einsteins. I do agree that added security is never a bad thing which is why I now always use the threaded rod when mounting large modifiers.

There is really no suitable place on the Bowens Quick Ring for the addition of a stand mounting point. The outer diameter of the ring cannot be increased to provide for the addition of a mounting point as it would then not be compatible with softbox rods that have been dimensioned to work with speed rings of a given size. I do hope Bowens acts on your suggestion(s) and comes up with a solution.

For truly LARGE modifiers, I would use the ring seen in the above image which does have an integral mounting platform. Note, though, it's now the Einstein that's at risk rather than the modifier should the mount fingers release. Consequently, the threaded rod is, again, always used, in this application.

Top Top

#

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:08 pm

tetrode wrote:
kenyee wrote:
For truly LARGE modifiers, I would use the ring seen in the above image which does have an integral mounting platform. Note, though, it's now the Einstein that's at risk rather than the modifier should the mount fingers release. Consequently, the threaded rod is, again, always used, in this application.

FWIW, I sent them your pictures of that speedring w/ the small extension platform as well when I suggested V2 to them. I'm hoping they'll work.
Good point about the rod keeping the Einstein safe. You could also probably do it w/ some 25lb fishing line, but then you'd have to trust your knots :)

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:47 am

I hung a 70" octa from my einstein last evening. While it did pull slightly away from the einstein body at the top, the fingers held even when moving and bouncing the giant octa. It doesnt feel secure but it was. I have the newest finger version so hopefully it stays that way!

Top Top

#

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:29 am

tetrode wrote:
kenyee wrote:

The Bowens Quick Ring takes 140mm diameter inserts. The Kacey AB insert is 152mm (6 inches) in diameter. Even if one were to cut the Kacey insert down to the proper size for the Quick Ring, it still wouldn't work. It would not be possible to mount the QR+Kacey insert on the front of an Einstein. I also use a conventional dished SP Studio Systems AB insert (140mm):

The SP holds very well on my Einsteins (knock wood) and I have used softboxes up to 36" x 48".

Thank you very, VERY much for this detailed information. I am switching to Einsteins and have my first arriving today, and I have been researching ahead of time and high and low for what adapter ring will work with my Bowens quickring so I can keep my Calumet Novas.

Craig

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:35 pm

I just found out that the SP Studio Systems 140mm insert mentioned here (and shown being used in conjunction with a Bowens QuickRing) is no longer available from B & H, and I have not found it elsewhere either.

That being the case, does anyone here use Photek Illuminata Insert Adapters that could do a measurement for me? I found one reference that suggested it is also 140mm wide and will fit in QuickRings, but would like someone to 2nd that.

Thanks,

Craíg

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Site Admin

craig16229 wrote:
I just found out that the SP Studio Systems 140mm insert mentioned here (and shown being used in conjunction with a Bowens QuickRing) is no longer available from B & H, and I have not found it elsewhere either.

That being the case, does anyone here use Photek Illuminata Insert Adapters that could do a measurement for me? I found one reference that suggested it is also 140mm wide and will fit in QuickRings, but would like someone to 2nd that.

Thanks,

Craíg

We have used an Illuminata speedring, and it fit. Ours was the Profoto version, but that should not matter. Also, the Bowens RD6210 fits our boxes and Bowens S mount.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 18 posts ]