Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:31 pm

I am trying to set up my Metz Mecablitz 58 AF1 hot-shoe flash as a wireless background light using a Nikon D300. I have the cybersync wireless transmitter and receiver. The receiver is on my main Alien Bees B800 light. I have set the Metz up as a slave in group A, channel 1. The receiver and CST and CSR are set to channel 1 (i think - it points to one and the number directly across from it in the circle.) The AlienBee's work fine, and I was able to get my Nikon B800 flash to work but I have modifiers for the Metz I would like to use and they don't fit on the Nikon flash. Can anyone help? :?:

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:26 pm

Site Admin

First, the "Ch1" on the CyberSync is a radio frequency, while the Metz is likely an optical setting. Even if it is radio, "Ch 1" is an arbitray number on both systems, and are not intercompatabile. If the Metz has a basic slave function, set it (likely how you got the SB800 to work, using the Nikon term SU-4 mode). Lacking this feature, a simple optical slave can be purchased through FlashZebra.com which will fire it. This method assumes the Metz can see the other flashes fire. Alternatively, you can get a Cyber Sync reciever for it and have it triggered the same way as the B800 (an inexpensive adapter may also be required). Keep in mind, while the Cyber Syncs do work for most flash units, some are not compatabile (this can differ even within the same manufacturer). We have not tested any Metz flashes, and cannot guarantee they will work, though they likely will. In the event they do not, you do have 60 days to return them.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]