Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 18 posts ] 

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:47 am

I'm just curious as to why the 8.5" is recommended over the 7". Is the 8.5" still a 45 degree throw on the Einstein? I plan to use mine with a Photek Softlighters, shoot through umbrellas and maybe a couple softbox kickers... poss a softbox hairlight. Thanks!

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01 am

Site Admin

Any reflector, of course, would be negated with using a soft box. The 8.5HOR is a narrower beam reflector (45º) resulting in a 1f increase in brightness on your subject. This is reccomended for direct reflector shooting. If using with an umbrella, you may be better served with the 7" reflector, as will have a broader spread to fill teh umbrella more completely.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:08 am

So TS, does it mean that 7" Reflector will fit nicely into Einstein? If so, why recommend 8.5" HOR then? I'm a little confused...

I too will be using Einstein mainly with umbrellas or softboxes. If using umbrella, does a reflector needed to hold the shaft or go barebulb and the shaft will fit nicely then? Because I read that "We recommend a 8.5" High Output Reflector for general purpose use", I ordered them. If not necessary, I might change it to a 7" or maybe 11"LTR.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:04 am

I am equally trying to determine which reflectors would be best for the Einstein.
Strictly for umbrella use, would the spill kill reflector be best especially with larger umbrellas?
I'm looking to purchase 60" umbrellas for my purposes and would happily purchase the spill kill reflectors for umbrellas and the 8.5" for general purposes leaving out the 7" altogether.
I am thinking this would be the best way to go???

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Site Admin

It depends on the umbrella type. The best option is probably no reflector at all or the PLM 7" reflector with the light just at the outer edge of the umbrella. This will always be right for white umbrellas and PLM. For other silver umbrellas the position of the light in the umbrella is going to depend on the shape of the particular umbrella.

I would only use the 7: standard reflector if you are placing the light well outside the edge of the umbrella - not typically a good position.

When shooting directly with a reflector and nothing else, I recommend the 8 1/2" simply because you will get a higher output and narrower angle than the 7". The 7" lights an area way wider than even a wide angle lens typically covers. It can be useful in the studio for lighting backgrounds, etc where the light is close to the object being lit.

Top Top

#

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:40 am

I appologize for being hard headed but i'm confused. I think the advice here is that no reflector is needed for the einstein and a standard (non PLM) umbrella

Thanks

Bryan

Top Top

#

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:00 am

For a 60 inch Photek Softlighter with the diffuser in place, I tried the 7 inch reflector, no reflector, the PLM reflector, and the spill kill reflector. Of those alternatives, I think I got the most even lighting with the spill kill reflector.

Top Top

#

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:38 pm

I have an Einstein (2 more on backorder) and an 8.5" reflector. I also own a 10º, 20º, 30º, and 40º grid for a 7" reflector, but I didn't get a 7" reflector that works on the Einstein. I think I'm gonna go ahead and part with the $15 plus shipping to have the option to use my grids on this strobe too.

Hope it works well, even though it's not the "preferred" reflector.

Any body using 7" reflector and grids with Einstein? Happy?

Top Top

#

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Yes I use 7" reflector with same size grids and they work just fine. The end result will not be much different from 8.5" to 7" as far as diameter and degree of angle output. You may have more effective output from the 8.5" reflector due to it's higer efficiency.

RMS

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Site Admin

beaser,
no reflector is needed, but depending on usage, one may be beneficial. For example, a large umbrella may not be filled completely with an 8.5 or 7" reflector as the beam can be too constricted. with no reflector, you may have spillage, thus a spill kill could be of use. It is hard to give a blanket statement for all scenarios. As Paul said, either no reflector or a reflector specific for blocking spill light.

lrry,
unless the grids you own are ours, we cannot gurantee they will fit our 7" reflector.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 18 posts ]