Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:56 am

I just ordered the cst and csrb. I want to setup my 20d as a remote camera. My main camera is a Mark II. I read somewhere that that the remote camera isn't capable of burst mode with the cst csrb setup. Is that correct?

Phil

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 am

Site Admin

Correct, you will get one shot per activation of the cst (either by the test button or foot).

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:39 am

Sorry I'm not quite following. If I fire a 3 shot sequence with the Mark II how many shutter actuations will my remote camera fire?

Phil

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Site Admin

I was referring to pressing and holding the test button. This will not keep your camera in continuous drive. To answer your question: it's hard to say. Our products are designed to fire studio flash units, in particular, our flash units, which they do well. The fact they can trigger a remote camera is coincidence. Pocket Wizards, for example, are designed to trigger just about anything in just about any concievable way. The extra cost and effort required to design and test all other products is outside of our focus of studio flash. This is partially why PW's cost so much.

In your case, there are three actuations to the CST rather than one continuous actuation, which certainly helps. However, the frame rate of each camera and the shutter speed of each will also dictate the outcome. A 3fps burst will most likely be achieveable, a 5fps burst has a fairly good chance. 8-10fps is less likely to get a 1:1 ratio, but may get a 1.5:1 ratio. Additionally, each camera combo can yeild slightly different results, especially depending on the remote camera, though maintaining the same combo and sufficient settings, the result will be consistent. (obviously a master camera firing @ 1/500 will smoke a remote camera shooting @ 1/60 regardless of remote system)

Sorry if i do not have an exact answer, but i hope this helps.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Looking forward to trying this out.

Phil

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]