Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 27 posts ] 

Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:08 pm

What is the difference between an Octa and PLM with front diffuser put on in the matter of even light spread and light quality? Which one is suitable for a group shoot of 5 people or more in broad daylight outdoor and a full body shot? I tend to use it with the Einsteins I pre-order.

I'm not sure either to get a PLM or Octa. Tempted with PLM, but unable to decide between PLM or Octa....

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Site Admin

It's largely a matter of the distances and amount of sunlight you have to overcome.

With the octabox you are stuck with 2-3f less output than with the Silver PLM. Were it me, I would go with the PLM - especially V2. If you don't want the snappier silver look (many prefer it), you can put on the diffuser and get essentially the same lighting quality and effect as the octa, at a lower cost. Improvements in the PLM V2 make the face evenness much better than V1 and likely every bit as good as the octabox.

I should have first factory samples of V2 in a week or so, with production not far behind.

Top Top

#

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Luap wrote:
Improvements in the PLM V2 make the face evenness much better than V1 and likely every bit as good as the octabox.

For V3, any chance you could figure out how to get a grid on the PLM w/ diffuser? :-)

Top Top

#

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Site Admin

It would be possible to design a grid for V2, but I have so much on my plate. I would first suggest using the sliver PLM without diffuser - it's spill pattern is much narrower and sharply cut off than a diffused light with any grid. You may love it or hate it due to the increase specularity over a diffused source. Many shooters are growing very fond of the raw silver PLM look - soft shadows yet a lot of snap.

Top Top

#

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:14 am

Luap wrote:
snap.

Paul, Hi!
Approximately how long would we have to wait until the new PLM to come in?

I guess since the website says "on backorder" means that you won't get the v1 anymore.. So we're patiently waiting for v2.

If there would be v1 back in stock - when to expect it?

Thanks

Top Top

#

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:45 am

Site Admin

I believe V1 with much improved front diffuser and shorter 8mm shaft came in late last week in 86" and 64". Check with Customer Service.

I'm waiting for first sample of V2 next week. If it's OK were probably looking at 4-6 weeks.

Top Top

#

Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:07 am

So Paul, which one will be release first? The PLM V2 or Einsteins or both in the same date? Really love to add the 86" PLM in my Einstein pre-order and would love them to ship altogether rather than in separate shipment. Grid for the PLM also very tempting though... :D :lol:

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:36 pm

Paul, Would you have a special page made on the website once you'd receive the sample from your factory?
I'm eager to read about all the new things that are in the new PLM.

Thanks

Top Top

#

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Site Admin

Yes, but all of the spec and prep work falls on me and I am on total overload trying to keep up with it. In spite of the recession, I have been unable to hire people with sufficient talent to do what falls on me.

Top Top

#

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Site Admin

Shine wrote:
So Paul, which one will be release first? The PLM V2 or Einsteins or both in the same date? Really love to add the 86" PLM in my Einstein pre-order and would love them to ship altogether rather than in separate shipment. Grid for the PLM also very tempting though... :D :lol:

Each is a separate product with separate vendors and all will ship as soon as humanly possible. This is not a snap your fingers and watch it happens process . . . wish it was.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 27 posts ]