Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Hello

I am very interested in indoors and outdoors portraits. I don't have any vagabond batteries or outdoor electricity (so there is limitations on shooting outdoors with strobe lights).

However, I will one day once I have the budget for a battery.
BUT my question is this, what would I lose or scarifice if I get the 22" HOBD white oppose to getting the silver one?

Do people use the 22" HOBD WHITE outdoors for adding extra light to their subject's face?
Could you get that soft clean white on the face of your subject indoors if you use the 22" HOBD silver?

Please help! I don't want to buy both. I need to know which could act as the other or come close to....

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:47 pm

Site Admin

For most shooters I recommend the Silver dish. Use it outdoors for very high output to overpower the sun, indoors you can use it at 6' to 12' or so for a even lighting from a moderate source size. If you want the more low key effect often achieved by using a white beauty dish about 2' to 4' from the subject, put on the included white diffuser sock, otherwise you may have too much power.

Some argue a dish with a diffuser sock gives a "different" light than one with a sock. I largely don't buy this for all but the most esoteric shooters.

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:00 pm

I bought the silver dish and so far, no complaints. It works and its definitely got kick. If you're interested in shooting outdoors I'd recommend the silver especially if you have a b800, even a b1600. I have an ultra 1800 and its definitely got power to burn so I'm interested in a white dish in the future and to use the silver on lower powered lights.

I recommend the battery ASAP though for outdoors as well too because I learned quick even with 100 feet of extension cord you can't always trust the outlet you're plugged into. Interference makes the light kinda start to freak out all crazy.

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Wow! Thank you both so much!!

I just received a large check (taxes) and wanted something to add to my AB800, 580 EX II, and my 430 EX.

However, i really need to pick on of the these 22" HOBD....

Man! I really love to shoot outdoors but carrying the equipment, fighting against the wind, and setting it up and down, could really drain a Sister! hahahaha

thanks again!
Looking at the Silver one again.. Try to see what other shooter is using it beside David Hill!

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:50 pm

i ended up owing money on taxes....sad day. With the b800 i'd definitely recommend the silver though if you wanna use it outdoors in strong sunlight. David Hobby(of strobist fame) uses the white one I believe, but that was on a b1600. Windy days are another case where a vagabond helps. it has straps to act as a weight on a stand. Other than that I use ankle weights if you can find em cheap to strap on the base of stands.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]