Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ] 

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:08 am

Just wanted to let you guys know how much I enjoy these PLM umbrellas. I used to use the largest softboxes with grids to light full body shots of dancers. I gave the PLMs a try and now that's all I use. I get a very similar light on my subject yet I get a lot more light out of my Einsteins. With the soft boxes I was almost maxing them out to get f/8. With the PLMs I get aprox 3 stops more light which means I can dial down the Einsteins resulting in a much shorter flash duration which is important for some of my action shots.

Positive side effects are faster recycle times and also the more directed light. I get far less spill on the background.

Thanks for an awesome product!

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:32 am

I also think that they are fantastics, now i use them almoust every time with or without the front difuser i have to buy more in other sizes :D :D :D

In the end you get fantastic light quality for a low price.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Site Admin

I have serious plans to promote the PLMs more. Particularly the straight shaft 8mm Soft Silver 64". It's not that it's only $49.95 . . . that's a side issue. For me, it's the go-to light modifier for 90% of shots.

Put it on instantly and use it. More even coverage than softboxes, less spill, no hotspots, just the right pattern width, way more output, nice round catchlights, a big modifier with a small footprint and, for me, just the right amount of sparkle and specularity combined with great shadow control.

But that's my opinion . . . others may differ.

If you have room, I like to use an 84" PLM and stand in front of it. By placing yourself some degree off center from the PLM you can get anywhere from shadowless, almost giant ringflash lighting to almost any shadow to highlight gradient you want by just moving your camera position back and forth or up and down relative to the PLM . . . the effect of a main and fill umbrella from one light, without moving lights. Do a series of ten shots of a model with 10 distinct looks in ten seconds without moving equipment or re-metering . . . nirvana for lazy people minimalists like me!

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:21 pm

I assume most people think these are just large umbrellas with a fancy name. They don't realize how different they are.

Top Top

#

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Even in terms of just "a large umbrella with a fancy name" - where else are you going to find an umbrella that big?

But yeah, they are different.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:45 am

Luap wrote:
I have serious plans to promote the PLMs more. Particularly the straight shaft 8mm Soft Silver 64". It's not that it's only $49.95 . . . that's a side issue. For me, it's the go-to light modifier for 90% of shots.

Put it on instantly and use it. More even coverage than softboxes, less spill, no hotspots, just the right pattern width, way more output, nice round catchlights, a big modifier with a small footprint and, for me, just the right amount of sparkle and specularity combined with great shadow control.

But that's my opinion . . . others may differ.

If you have room, I like to use an 84" PLM and stand in front of it. By placing yourself some degree off center from the PLM you can get anywhere from shadowless, almost giant ringflash lighting to almost any shadow to highlight gradient you want by just moving your camera position back and forth or up and down relative to the PLM . . . the effect of a main and fill umbrella from one light, without moving lights. Do a series of ten shots of a model with 10 distinct looks in ten seconds without moving equipment or re-metering . . . nirvana for lazy people minimalists like me!

This post should be expanded into a "How to use" for the PLM system. You guys have great equipment, but you could get more mileage from having a spokesperson creating great marketing material, that has value to the community.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47 am

Could I ask two questions about the PLM? (And I apologize in advance if the answers are obviously clear and I am missing something):

1) How is an umbrella system able to get "More even coverage than softboxes, less spill, no hotspots"?

I am NOT doubting you here, but I thought that the MAIN purpose of a softbox was to better control spill and hotspots than an umbrella can.

2) Can someone elaborate on the statements "They don't realize how different they are," and "But yeah, they are different."

Exactly HOW are they different?

I am just trying to get educated about the products (not trying to be a naysayer)

Thanks in advance.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Planet wrote:
Could I ask two questions about the PLM? (And I apologize in advance if the answers are obviously clear and I am missing something):

1) How is an umbrella system able to get "More even coverage than softboxes, less spill, no hotspots"?

I am NOT doubting you here, but I thought that the MAIN purpose of a softbox was to better control spill and hotspots than an umbrella can.

2) Can someone elaborate on the statements "They don't realize how different they are," and "But yeah, they are different."

I am just trying to get educated about the products (not trying to be a naysayer)

Thanks in advance.

They're parabolic enough that the silver ones, at least, can produce a parabolic focusing effect - a darn good one in the case of the extreme silver. See http://www.paulcbuff.com/plm-competitor.php

At the same time they're really big, thus able to produce big, soft light. And finally, they're crazy efficient, again especially in the case of the extreme silver, but even the white PLMs are no slouch in that department.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Thank you, EKB.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:03 am

Site Admin

Planet wrote:

Thanks in advance.

PLM is not an ordinary white umbrella as you are comparing to softboxes.

Silver PLM produce infinitely less spill light than softboxes (Unless they have grids) and directly more light to the subject are and less to the periphery, plus the produce wayyyy more light with very smooth patterns and evenness.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ]