Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:41 pm

I've already emailed tech support regarding this but that was before I saw there was an active forum for questions like this.

I just picked up two Ultra 1200's and one 1800 used and the sync cables they included appear to have been "repaired" a few times. I tried triggering them using my PT-04 wireless triggers using these cords but it didn't work. Before I go cutting cables I wanted to know what the proper polarity is for the cable and if possible which is positive (ie when the switch closes what is the direction of flow). I found info on the website stating that the center pin of the pc sync end is positive but since I don't have an original cable I don't know which part of the 1/4" plug the center pin is supposed to connect to (tip or ring).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:09 am

Site Admin

The PC end is pin positive, shield negative. The 1/4" connector is tip positive, ring negative, sleeve neutral (not connected). Before you go through the troubles of new wiring, troubleshoot the head. First, does it fire from the test button? Next, does it fire as you plug the cord in? (It should).

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks for the info! The lamp is 100% working fine, it just wasn't working with my wireless remote trigger. After reversing the polarity of the cord (and holding it just right) I was able to get the flash firing. I plan on modding my remote triggers to add a 1/8" jack instead of the antiquated PC sync terminal which like David Hobby at Strobist I wish would just die already ;)

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Site Admin

While cords are not as readily available (though still available), a submini connection may be easier to fit in some of the smaller remotes.

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Thanks, I was considering the submini but failing that I figured I'd just hack a cheap headphone extension cable and have a few inch dongle with the jack at the end. It wouldn't look too terrible and it would be way more reliable than the PC sync.

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:41 am

Technical Support wrote:
The 1/4" connector is tip positive, ring negative, sleeve neutral (not connected).

Can we use a mono 1/4" plug instead of a stereo without any trouble?

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:33 am

Site Admin

photopat wrote:
Technical Support wrote:
The 1/4" connector is tip positive, ring negative, sleeve neutral (not connected).

Can we use a mono 1/4" plug instead of a stereo without any trouble?

Yes, with one caveat. The sleeve acts as a buffer if the light is introduced to a circuit of dubious quality. Most times, though, a mono cord will be fine.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]