Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ] 

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:48 pm

While testing the new CC firmware, one of my WL800 flash tubes miss-behaved. After firing, the flash tube continued to output light for about 1 to 2 seconds, then the "Reset" switched tripped. I waited about five minutes, reset the light, and after two full power flashes, it did the same thing. I pulled and inspected the flash tube and it looks OK. The unit acted as if the flash trigger pulse stayed on while the caps were trying to charge. Does this sound like a flash tube or light failure. I'm certain the CC is not at fault.

Thanks in Advance,
Richard K.

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:07 am

Site Admin

This is called afterglow. There is circuitry in AB to prevent this but it looks like it's not working on this unit. Call tech help if you can and we'll get it taken care of. You described it correctly . . . . the unit is charging while the tube is still conducting. I doubt it has anything to do with the CC. Sorry for the trouble.

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:01 am

Thanks....will call this am. By the way, the "Refresh" feature is a nice touch to the CC when using VII for power.

RichardK.

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:47 am

Can you please explain why? Thanks

RMS

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 am

Site Admin

Sorry, but what specifically did you need an explaination? The refresh, or the troubles with the light?

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:09 am

Technical Support wrote:
Sorry, but what specifically did you need an explaination? The refresh, or the troubles with the light?

Sorry for not being specific.

I was wondering if RichardK would share his experience with the Cyber Commander concerning the "Refresh" feature and it's use with the Vagabond II.

RMS

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:46 pm

Sure.....When using the VII, we often turn it off to conserve power between our T&I shoots. When you restore power to the VII, the light will come to their full power settings which may not be where you wanted them. A touch of the "Refresh" button will restore them to the CC values you were previously using.

Hope This helps,
Richard K.

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:50 pm

Does that "Refresh" work with the CSRB+ when setting up for a new shoot? Or does the RJ11 line still need to be plugged in while the light is on when hooking everything back up for the new shoot?

RMS

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm

I don't own a CSRB+, just a couple of the CSR+. We don't tear down the setup. The shoot can last all day with fifteen to thirty minute breaks during the day. All we do is power off the lights then power off the VII. When you power off the VII, the power is removed from the CSR+ units. When the next group arrives, we power up the VII, then power on the lights. The WL800's will come back up a full power on all units. A quick press of the "Refresh" button will restore the lights back to the CC values.

There has been some discussion about unplugging the telephone cord, and having the light units powered on before plugging the telephone cord back in, but I have not had any problems. I have both rear panel buttons depressed and the sliders at full power, with the modeling bulbs removed.

Tech support will need to speak to the CSRB+.

Richard K.

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks Richard K. for sharing that information. The details are very helpful to me in understanding how others use the same equipment I use on a regular basis. I myself do not leave the units set up. I take them down, and because of this routine, I have to plug my remote line into a hot light to refresh the settings. Unless this has changed with the added "Refresh" feature, maybe TS can inform me about it. Again, thanks a million.

RMS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ]