Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi,

I see the EINSTEIN has no remote RJ11 jack. I understand why, as it has its own wireless trigger mechanism. But I think, it cannot do high speed synch as the radio popper PX system does. Is there any way we can still connect the EINSTEIN to the RadioPopper PX system, and still benefiting of the high speed synch, as we could with the ABxxx?

Or are we saying we might as well sell the radio popper things on ebay when we switch to EINSTEIN blocks?

Thanks

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:39 pm

Site Admin

from my tests in house: You can connect RP's to Einstein via the mono jack only, meaning no adjustment via RP. Hyper Sync (that is what it is, it is not HSS) is doable @ full power. Once you reach -.5f to -1f, the IGBT control shuts off the flash output, drastically reducing the flash duration that the RP hypersync relies on. On the Rebel I was testing, there was a black bar over most of the image. It was harsh in nature, meaning the flash putput was cut very rapidly, as would be expected from Einstein's design. Compare this to a B400, when using similar settings, the fall off is very gradual (like a graduated ND filter), as would be expected from the Bee's design.

As for selling the RP's, they are still decent triggers, and offer functionality that CyberSync cannot, particularly with Speedlites. If your only use out of them is hypersyncing Alien Bee lights, then they will not be very helpful.

Triggering Einstein would not require a master flash with the CyberSync system, and CyberCommander's control is vastly superior to RP's.

TTL and other control over speedlites with RP is arguably the best radio system available.

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Mm... Thanks for the good feedback. I'm more interested in using the EINSTEIN outdoor for portrait. I think I will be using the EINSTEIN almost at full power on a sunny day, specifically if I add light box. Could we imagine a system where we use the RP for wireless ETTL transmission and the EINSTEIN jack to trigger up to 1/2500s in Hyper synch?

Thanks again

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:09 am

Site Admin

Possibly, my tests were at 1/4000, i have not thoroughly tested the combo at all shutter speeds. At full power, einstein should be similar to a B1600, rapidly and radically dropping in flash duration as you start to decrease power. It is possible that 1/2500 would work, but only at full. As i get more info, i will post it.

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:47 am

Site Admin

I totally lied, my tests were done with the PW mini/flex remotes. I have not yet tried the RP with Einstein. But I will continue tests.

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Ok,

Thank you very much for the info. Anytime you have some updates, please let us know.

Thanks

Armand

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]