Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi Folks - Recently I was shooting a portrait session in moderate to strong windy conditions which caused by 64 inch umbrella twist and turn. The next day the wind stronger as was the gusts. I did not use any modifiers except to clip paper over the reflector and feather the light. My question is what would folks suggest for modifiers in windy conditions? Would the beauty dish work? A smaller umbrella or soft box? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks - Bill

Top Top

#

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Site Admin

The beauty dish is popular choice. Smaller softboxes and umbrellas are better than larger ones, but they're not ideal. Also, sandbag or otherwise secure your stands.

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:50 am

Thank you for your response- I did use sandbags to hold down the stand other wise it would have taken flight! Based on the description, the white beauty dish with the diffusion cover would provide a light similar to a small soft box or small umbrella with diffusion cover. I am wanting soft shadows and transitions but I do need the light source to be stable in windy conditions. Would you recommend the white over the silver beauty dish? Thanks again for your quick response. Bill

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Site Admin

Many people like the silver as it can be contrasty without the sock, or soft with the sock. However, the white may be a bit softer with the sock. Also, it will need to be close in for the softer shadows, as it is still relatively small.

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks again for your quick response - I will most likely go with the white - the information states a spread of about 130 degrees and having the beauty dish in close is not a problem - my main goal is to have a way to provide a soft and diffused light when on location and it is windy. Thanks again - Bill

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]