Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:31 am

I am using a Canon 5D, digipro F light meter, and alien bees.

When I use the light meter and set my camera accordingly, it
always comes out too way hot. ISO 100.

Any thoughts what might be going on?

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 am

Site Admin

Without seeing a picture, or at least knowing more detailed info, it will be hard to say exactly, but some basics to cover:

First, be sure the ISO matches on the camera and meter.

Make sure you are using the domed diffuser and in the out position for a global reading (some models may not give you a choice)

Make sure you are firing all lights when taking the exposure reading (one at a time is fine for ratios)

Make sure the meter is at the subject's position, and dome is facing the camera when metering.

Make sure the lights are firing when metering, and you are not metering the model lamps.

Are you using a speedlite in TTL? Don't and see if the problem persists.

With all of that being said, not all meters are created equal. Some meters can over or under expose from "proper" exposure, by up to a full stop. This difference can also vary from model to model of camera (digital) or film, as manufacturers will fudge one way or the other for different results (ex. Some Nikons were reported to slightly overexpose to achieve better signal to noise ratio, resulting in better high ISO performance. note. I cannot vouch for the validity of this statement, I am only using it as an example). Additionally, it is possible to "calibrate" most meters to correct exposure, to match individual needs. If the meter was used, maybe someone set a correction value, or perhaps it was inadvertently done while you were learning the modes. Usually if a correction was set, a "+","-", or "+/-" will appear on the screen (though not always). If all proceedures were done correctly, abd you are still getting an over or under exposure, you can find how much (by trial and error) once, set the correction in the meter, and leave it there for future use.

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:33 pm

Robin Mc wrote:
I am using a Canon 5D, digipro F light meter, and alien bees.

When I use the light meter and set my camera accordingly, it
always comes out too way hot. ISO 100.

Any thoughts what might be going on?

Sorry to ask, but you are shooting the camera in manual mode correct?

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]