Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Hello,

TL/DR: Is there an available replacement to the SP Studio insert for Bowens Quickring?

I am looking to buy some Alienbees, or a few less Einsteins as my first foray into studio lighting. (I really want the Einsteins, but holy crap they blow my budget. At least the ABs have a good ebay market if I upgrade.)

I have some off brand softboxes already, and when I purchased some new ones, I got them with the AB quickring. I also ordered a Quickring from BH, hoping to mate my no-name inserts with the quickring. As it happens, I was foiled from my attempt by a mere quarter inch. (Curse those cheap softboxes for using a completely non-standard 5.75" insert!)

I know that the SP Studio insert is the #1 recommendation for a Quickring. However, BH lists it as backordered till early August, and Adorama lists it as discontinued. Does anyone know of a appropriate replacement to mount a PCB light to a Quickring?

Thanks,
Sienna

Top Top

#

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:59 pm

I think the SP Studio insert is the same as the Fotodiox inserts. There 5 7/8 I believe and have one for the AB. Just saw the rings on Amazon for $9.00.

Sienna wrote:
Hello,

TL/DR: Is there an available replacement to the SP Studio insert for Bowens Quickring?

I am looking to buy some Alienbees, or a few less Einsteins as my first foray into studio lighting. (I really want the Einsteins, but holy crap they blow my budget. At least the ABs have a good ebay market if I upgrade.)

I have some off brand softboxes already, and when I purchased some new ones, I got them with the AB quickring. I also ordered a Quickring from BH, hoping to mate my no-name inserts with the quickring. As it happens, I was foiled from my attempt by a mere quarter inch. (Curse those cheap softboxes for using a completely non-standard 5.75" insert!)

I know that the SP Studio insert is the #1 recommendation for a Quickring. However, BH lists it as backordered till early August, and Adorama lists it as discontinued. Does anyone know of a appropriate replacement to mount a PCB light to a Quickring?

Thanks,
Sienna

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:45 am

Sienna wrote:
(Curse those cheap softboxes for using a completely non-standard 5.75" insert!)

Actually, the problem is Bowens' QR. Bowens decided to use a smaller than usual outer diameter insert.
I've complained and suggested they fix this for V2 if they ever do one...

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:41 am

la.mike wrote:
I think the SP Studio insert is the same as the Fotodiox inserts. There 5 7/8 I believe and have one for the AB. Just saw the rings on Amazon for $9.00.

Having both the Fotodiox and Bowens QR here, I can confirm that this doesn't work. (Fotodiox were the 5 7/8, and the QR is smaller. (5.5" IIRC?)

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:19 pm

The Photek insert for Balcar is identical to the SP Studio Systems insert and will work with the Bowens Quick Ring. Currently in stock at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... g_for.html

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]