Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:05 pm

Or more specifically:

If I wanted that Terry Richardson lighting look (hard contrasty light with no diffusion), would I be more likely to get it with the 22" HOBD or the 8.5" HOR? They both throw light at ~45 degrees. Does the HOBD just basically have a more feathered shadow, but is basically the same?

<http://www.terryrichardson.com/> for those not familiar with his work...

I was thinking that to get this look the 8.5" or even the 11" reflectors might be the key...

Thanks

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Site Admin

From the examples on his site linked above, most look like they were shot with a speedlite. This is indicated by the harsh nature andclose proximity of the shadows to the subjects (indicating the light position is fairly close to the axis of the lens). Considering direction of the shadows, i would not be surprised if some were shot with a handle mount flash.

The 22HOBD would be out in this scenario, as its larger size would produce softer shadows at those distances. The standard 7" reflector or 8.5HOR would suit this type of shooting fine.

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:28 pm

TS is correct, most of Terry's work is shot with a speedlite on a bracket right next to his camera.

BTW, is TS Joe? :)

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Site Admin

bacilonur wrote:

BTW, is TS Joe? :)

TS is an umbrella moderator name, though there is only one primary poster (not Joe, though he is consulted frequently).

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]