Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Disclaimer – First off, I really love the amazing technology that this company has made available to the photographer and at a decent price point. I mean really, this stuff is awesome. I’m just being picky here for my own needs which may not be mutual amongst the general user base.

I have 6 Einstein’s controlled by a CC all on version 50 now. I have a feature request that I think would be a real time saver for my work flow. What I would like to have is a shortcut that can switch a flash unit in or out of standby mode. Thinking about it and jumping the gun, I would recommend using a dual joystick sequence that would perform accordingly depending upon the current screen Channel (CH), Group (GRP) or All Lights (ALL) that it is in:

To place the appropriate flash unit (or units) into Standby:
    - While pulling the right joystick downward, then pull the left joystick downward.

To power up the appropriate flash unit (or units):
    - While pulling the right joystick downward, push the left joystick upward.

Background reasoning:
When a client is in front of me, I don’t want to be fiddling around with the menu. It has been suggested to use a memory preset to recall a particular configuration. This works great as a starting point. But, it’s not good for the times when I’m spontaneously inspired to swap the sides of say the kicker lights. If I load another preset, the levels that I have already established for the main and fill will be altered. As an alternative, what I’ve been doing is just drop the power all the way down to 2.5 Ws which is effectively off as far as the photo is concerned. But, this is not the best option either, since I’d have to remember what the setting was before reverting back. (I’m actually glad that merely holding downward the left joystick until after it has reached 2.5 Ws doesn’t put it in standby.)

Anyhow, I’m hoping that there is more than just myself wanting this feature.

Top Top

#

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:38 pm

Optical_Man...

Ohhh, you don't know how many times I have wished for this capability.

I'm with you on this all the waaaay.

Anyone have a temporary workaround for this other than reducing the power to minimum?

Top Top

#

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Site Admin

I'm working hard on a complete solution to all CC oddities - but it will take time. It's a very difficult task to get something this technologically advanced perfect the first time when you're leading rather than copying someone else's work.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]