Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 8 posts ] 

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Search terms I could think of weren't providing appropriate discussions.

I have had my four Einsteins for a few months, replacing older Norman gear. Like the gear a lot -- what a change from the giant/clunky/inflexible old Norman stuff, although it served me OK. I will for the first time since buying the Einsteins photograph people on a set with three heads all firing (fourth kept out for backup). There will be lots of folks stepping in and fast recycling and fast shooting will be a benefit to the results. I believe there will be one head in a strip light and one head fitted with 7- or 8-inch reflector with honeycomb. The third will be in a big PLM on a boom so no confinement heat issues there.

Always nice to have lots of depth of field but I might want to keep the background soft. I will have everything from individuals to groups of six. (Yeah, I know that's trouble for building the set...) Anyway, I read about using Einsteins with rapid shooting if set to lower watt-second levels. My tests here at the office show wonderfully-quick recycle but I seek other users' experiences and Tech Support knowledge of how this might affect longevity or future reliability.

Not going to set the camera for "motor" just want to fire again as necessary. Chosen body not so fast anyway: 1DsMk3.

Of course until I get there and set up it will be a guess as to the f-stop I see called for. The key light will be the 8-foot PLM soft-silver above and in front of the subjects.

Triggering will be the CST on my Canon 1DsMk3 shoe and I look forward to trying out the Cyber Commander as a light-level adjuster. Just got that kit.

I hope this is clear; is fast rapid one-by-one shooting OK?

jonathan7007

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Site Admin

Generally speaking, you should be fine. But, this is such a broad generalization that it is hard to be definitive for various reasons.

Obviously, if the light has not recycled, then shooting too fast will result in an under exposed image.

If the unit overheats, there are internal protections that will shut it off. While this probably won't happen, don't make a habit of it if it does.

Bottom line, the light will tell you if it cannot handle what you are throwing it. If it can't you are not going to hurt it by doing so once as long as you are not machine-gunning it for long periods.

From what you describe, there should be no issues.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Site Admin

At 1/16 power, Einstein™ can fire with a motor drive camera at 8 frames per second, 4fps at 1/8 power, 2fps at 1/4 power, etc. Or single shoots at these rates. It can do this for at least a couple of minutes without damage.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Can I expand on the op question? Last year I did a graduation of around 300 grads. I used my Canon Speedlights but failed me because I was shooting one right after the other, maybe 4-5 seconds apart. It was a crazy fast shoot and I'm glad I had 2 lights that I switched back and forth to keep things moving.

I can't know what power I will need this year if I use my Einsteins but will I have the same issue with over heating if using 1/2 power or less? I am just using one light into an umbrella.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Site Admin

At half power (320WS), you can pretty much shoot all day at 3-5 seconds per shot. Setting the model lamp to go out during recycle, or turing model lamp off, or reducing model lamp power level will decrease heat significantly.

Even at full power, one shot per 5 seconds isn't unreasonable if you follow the above regarding modeling lamps.

At half power, Einstein™ produces about 4-5 times the light of typical high end speed lights.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks Paul, I should have used them last year. It sounds like I'll only need about 1/8 power than.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:25 pm

While on the heat question, is there any problem using a PLM (with speedring) with the diffuser and modeling lights? I'm thinking there is no direct outlet for the heat in this configuration.

If so, how about with no modeling light and a reasonable shooting speed?

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Site Admin

Don't cover the vents when using the PLM diffusion fabric.

Again, heat build up will vary based on ambient temp, size of PLM, shooting power, shooting rate, model lamp power and recycle setting. This will be one of those try-it-and-see-how-it-works-for-you deals.

If you think you will be shooting fast, dial the model lamp down and set it to go off when recycling.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 8 posts ]