Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ] 

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:26 am

Site Admin

Paul has created an excellent video comparison of portable power solutions; between our Vagabond™ Lithium Extreme, our Vagabond Mini™ Lithium, and the Photogenic ION™. Watch the video here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TRoQiV ... e=youtu.be

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:43 pm

Site Admin

If you're serious about portable power, and particularly a power user, this is the one you tube video you must watch. Comparisons don't get any more thorough than this.

Deb and I worked hard to bring you all the unbiased performance and comparison info for our new Vagabond Lithium Extreme - VLX™

If you want to see the recycle time tests with up to four lights and 2560Ws, click here:
http://www.paulcbuff.com/video.php We think you will be amazed.

Top Top

#

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:21 pm

Luap wrote:
If you're serious about portable power, and particularly a power user, this is the one you tube video you must watch. Comparisons don't get any more thorough than this.

Deb and I worked hard to bring you all the unbiased performance and comparison info for our new Vagabond Lithium Extreme - VLX™

If you want to see the recycle time tests with up to four lights and 2560Ws, click here:
http://www.paulcbuff.com/video.php We think you will be amazed.

You had too much fun, Paul!

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Site Admin

First time I've really used Premiere. Big learning curve.

I like to work alone - always have. So I set up everything, including Live View on the D7000 into a 50" TV, got the empty chair framed and focused and lights/inverter set up, pushed record, than raced around the table, sat down and did a test. Over and over and over.

Had a wireless mic on, and originally narrated each test, but the video came out so long I figured it would bore everyone, so I edited it down to just the shots and made the titles.

Then I filmed Deb doing her thing and wrapped it up.

One thing that impresses me is how well a single 86" soft silver PLM, at about 11', lights the faces and creates such good catchlights (operating only the modeling lamp).

If my work wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it . . . probably applies to 80% of you out there.

Gotta' say, if I were out in the field doing any serious shooting there's no question I would use a VLX - it impressed me.

Now where are all the Beta testers I asked for a while back? We've tested with Dynalite packs and gotten about about the same speeds per Ws - at 1000Ws and 2000Ws, and believe it will work with everything out there, but I'd rather give away a few VLX's to shooters with Elinchroms, Geminis, Profotos, etc than have to go buy $10,000 worth of lights to test with.

We're shipping quite a few every day and getting good feedback.

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Excellent and very convincing video, Paul. Nicely done!

Has the VLX been tested with Elinchrom 600RXes? That's what I use (when I run out of Einsteins, that is, of which I own four).

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Site Admin

My RX600 works almost exactly the same as AlienBees with VML and VLX. It's about five years old so I don't know if it's 120VAC only, or dual voltage like the newer ones.

The D Lites and BX series are the ones that don't behave well with inverters, but we believe VLX will run two or three of them OK.

Dynalite and Speedo packs work fine, and we believe Elinchrom and Profoto and other packs will work well too.

There's a post on here trying to get Beta testers for VLX with multiple D Lite, BXs, Profotos, etc, but no takers? I don't get it.

Grey VLXs are in stock now and selling quite well, as are Turquoise/Purple versions.

We've run five Einsteins from one VLX many times, through torture tests No problems at all - about 9 seconds recycle for 3000Ws.

Lots of hits on the Video - about 1500 so far.

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:55 pm

Luap wrote:
There's a post on here trying to get Beta testers for VLX with multiple D Lite, BXs, Profotos, etc, but no takers? I don't get it.

I could be wrong, but I suspect not too many D-Lite/BX or Profoto users frequent this forum, Paul. I sold my Profoto lights soon after I got the Einsteins. Also, the Elinchrom BX series has been discontinued.

Going forward, it's probably the new Elinchrom BRX and ELC series lights that should be tested with the VLX. Not too many of those in users' hands, though.

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:01 pm

Site Admin

You may be right. But I find it weird that I have had zero replies to my Beta Tester offer.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4527&p=22008#p22008

Maybe nobody on this forum has anything but BUFF gear :)

Top Top

#

Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:27 pm

Luap wrote:
You may be right. But I find it weird that I have had zero replies to my Beta Tester offer.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4527&p=22008#p22008

Maybe nobody on this forum has anything but BUFF gear :)

That's probably true of most but there are, no doubt, many like me who do own other strobes but strobes you've already tested (such as the Elinchrom 600RXes I own). I would have jumped on your beta tester offer if I owned something that would add to the VLX compatibility database. Should I run out and buy a set of D-Lites? :-)

Top Top

#

Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:46 pm

Site Admin

Sure - better you than me!

One thing I would like to note about the video. Look at the big catchlights and soft shadows, and fully lit faces, etc. This thing was lit by a single Einstein 250W modeling lamp feeding 86" soft silver PLM from about 10' from the subject - straight on to the subject - with the camera in front of it.

No dark eye sockets or under chin shadows, etc. Because the light source is so big, it wraps around everything. All, unlike most bright "hot lights" the big PLM is not blinding to the subject because the light is distributed over so large an area, the "spot intensity" is very low.

If you want a little more mood - with one side controllably darker than the other, just put the camera somewhat to one side of the PLM center.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ]