Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:44 pm

I have 2 AB800 and I am getting a very quick double flash on one of the AB800s. It happens when I trigger it both wired and wirelessly. It does not occur on the other AB800, my AB400 or AB Ring flash. it does not effect the light output. I have taken both AB 800s and matched setting and tested them with my light meter. I get the same light output, only one gives me a double flash. What could be the problem?

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Site Admin

When you did this test, did you meter at full power? At full power, two pops less than 1 second apart cannot both be the same power (at least not the same power as one pop from a B800 at full).

First, is this light on the same AC source as the others? ANY differences? Any extension cords, different outlet, multi port power strip, etc.

Does the problem happen on a different outlet?

Does the problem happen with a different power cord?

Turn the model lamp off. Does the problem persist?

How exactly are you triggering them? You say wired and wireless. What wireless devices? Does wired mean a PC cord to the camera?

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Technical Support wrote:
When you did this test, did you meter at full power? At full power, two pops less than 1 second apart cannot both be the same power (at least not the same power as one pop from a B800 at full). I have not tried them at full power on like 1/2 to 8th power.

First, is this light on the same AC source as the others? ANY differences? Any extension cords, different outlet, multi port power strip, etc. I have tried Combo AC sources, cords, outlets and multi &solo power strips.

Does the problem happen on a different outlet? Yes I have tried different outlets.

Does the problem happen with a different power cord? That too I have switched and exchanged power cords

Turn the model lamp off. Does the problem persist? It happens with or with out the modeling lamp.

How exactly are you triggering them? You say wired and wireless. What wireless devices? Does wired mean a PC cord to the camera? Wireless are some generic Hot shoe wireless trigger/receivers on all ABs and only that one Ab800 double flashes. For wired I use the PC cable to my PC port on my Cannon 5D mark 2.

I have answered the questions inside the quote.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Try tightening your modeling lamp. Mine came loose on my X800s and had the same issue.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:03 pm

cedwards4334 wrote:
Try tightening your modeling lamp. Mine came loose on my X800s and had the same issue.

Thank you I will try that.

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:48 pm

Site Admin

How old is this unit? If you have tried all the TS suggestions without success then the unit will have to be returned for repair.

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Well I have tried all of that but still the same issue. It has been doing it for sometime now but other then that the light works great. I have had the light for about 4 years now. Unless it really breaks down I can live with it.

Besides I am waiting for those lighs to go out so I can upgrade to the Ensteins. Although they are so durable and I really don't want to wait that long that I may just upgrade next year and use these as backup or fill lights.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]