Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ] 

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:43 am

Site Admin
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 am
Posts: 1432

We are looking for three or four pros that have, in particular, multiple dual voltage Elinchrom D Lites, BRX or ECL monolights, Profoto D1s, Geminis etc. that are willing to test our new VLX™ portable power system and report results to us via short video (720P 30fps prefered) or written performance report.

We will give VLXs to qualified testers in exchange for this.

We are preparing a comprehensive You Tube video for the VLX™ and would like to include tests of as many third party lights as possible.

We have just tested with Dynalite 1000Ws and 2000Ws packs, with 3.3 second and 6 second recycle times respectively, (about 2.5 times faster than with VML™ or ION, and good performance with RX600s and various other brands). Other users have reported good results with 1200Ws/2400Ws Speedotron and various other power packs. We expect good results with those hard to power Elinchrom dual voltage monolights.

If interested, please either post your equipment and game plan here on this forum, or email to:
"Paul Buff"<info@paulcbuff.com> for consideration. Time is of the essence as VLX™ has become a hot product.

Thanks in advance :lol:




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:10 pm

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:11 am
Posts: 23

will the VLX work with a 230V Bowens Gemini/esprit?

I can test it against my VML and Einsteins, and against a wide range of battery powered strobes
(Lumedyne, Profoto B1, Godox AD360, speedlights...)

I can also test it in 'real world' at weddings
[we use at least 10 monolights per-wedding. usually connected to AC power]


I'm located in Israel...
Yitzy




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:44 am

Site Admin
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 am
Posts: 1432

VLX is 120VAC only, so it can't power 230V lights unless they are 120/230V models. Also, battery powered units like the B1 and others mentioned can't be powered by 120VAC - they require "speed cyclers"




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 122

Luap wrote:
Also, battery powered units like the B1 and others mentioned can't be powered by 120VAC - they require "speed cyclers"


Just out of curiosity, does that mean one COULDN'T use a VMX / VML with something like the Photogenic 1250 Generator / Lamphead combination (where there is a single "power pack" generator that powers a single lamphead).

Thanks in advance.

(Not actively thinking of buying one of those photogenic strobes, but just curious. It's one of those things where they sell NEW for a lot more than an AB800 but sell USED for a lot LESS than an AB800. There is probably a reason for this...)




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Site Admin
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:43 am
Posts: 5266

The Profoto B1 is a battery only monolight, with no means to connect to AC mains power. Most pack and head systems, even if they run on batteries, can still run from AC power.

Without knowing exactly which pack you are referring to, I would guess there would be no problems running from a VML or VLX system. You may run into recycle times longer than that from a wall outlet.




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Site Admin
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 am
Posts: 1432

Planet wrote:
Luap wrote:
Also, battery powered units like the B1 and others mentioned can't be powered by 120VAC - they require "speed cyclers"


Just out of curiosity, does that mean one COULDN'T use a VMX / VML with something like the Photogenic 1250 Generator / Lamphead combination (where there is a single "power pack" generator that powers a single lamphead).

Thanks in advance.

(Not actively thinking of buying one of those photogenic strobes, but just curious. It's one of those things where they sell NEW for a lot more than an AB800 but sell USED for a lot LESS than an AB800. There is probably a reason for this...)

First, the VLX will power a Photogenic as well as most other AC powered Generator/Lamphead systems just fine.

As for the reason ABs have such a high resale value is because they are the most popular lights, by a wide margin. Also, many international customers buy used ABs from eBay because they are very difficult to get outside USA/Canada.




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 122

Thanks again!

Did I mention yet today how much I love you guys? :)




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:53 am

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:50 am
Posts: 1

Is this offer still open? I have two Profoto D1 500 Airs and would be happy to test the VLX with them.




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Site Admin
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:43 am
Posts: 5266

Thanks for the offer, but we do have testing results from the D1 series.

We have most of the major lights tested, so the offer is effectively closed, though if one were to feel they have a light that would make a significant contribution to our test results, they are welcome to contact our customer service team at info@paulcbuff.com, or 1-800-443-5542.




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:24 pm
Posts: 7

Technical Support wrote:
Thanks for the offer, but we do have testing results from the D1 series.

We have most of the major lights tested, so the offer is effectively closed, though if one were to feel they have a light that would make a significant contribution to our test results, they are welcome to contact our customer service team at info@paulcbuff.com, or 1-800-443-5542.


Ahhhh.... too bad.

Ive got 2 Elinchrom ELC Pro HD 1000s
2 Elinchrom RX 600s
2 Elinchrom Micro AS 750s

mono lights.

Was gonna try to get 2 VLX units to try out... Along with the VML that I own.

Lots of actual outdoor shooting.




Top Top
Profile
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


cron