Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ] 

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:09 pm

Hi, first off, love my Bees.

But, I'm having a problem using my 430 EXII with my CSR. I bought the Speedlite Foot Adapter
(SLFA), when I bought all my PCB stuff a couple of weeks ago, and just started fooling around with this Speedlite portion of my lighting set up today.

The problem: When I first set up the Speedlite on the SLFA, plug in the CSR, focus, shoot and FLASH! Great for the first shot, but it won't fire again unless I turn the flash's power button off and on again. I have to do this with each shot.

Hope I've explained this well enough to get some advice.

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:19 pm

I should mention that I don't have a problem when the flash unit is mounted on the camera hot shoe....

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:31 am

Site Admin

First, are you positive the "Pilot" light is on on the flash when attempting to fire subsequent flashes?
For testing purposes, dial the power down to minimum and make sure the flash is in manual mode. Also, fresh batteries.

Is the screen awake? Most speedlites have a fairly short sleep timer by default. Be sure that is lengthened or turned off (you will need to consult your manual).

If the above steps are met, and the problem still persists, we need to determine if the speedlite will fire when pressing the CSR's test button.

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Technical Support wrote:
First, are you positive the "Pilot" light is on on the flash when attempting to fire subsequent flashes?
For testing purposes, dial the power down to minimum and make sure the flash is in manual mode. Also, fresh batteries.

Is the screen awake? Most speedlites have a fairly short sleep timer by default. Be sure that is lengthened or turned off (you will need to consult your manual).

If the above steps are met, and the problem still persists, we need to determine if the speedlite will fire when pressing the CSR's test button.

Thanks for looking at this....

Yes, positive that the pilot light comes back on after the initial flash.

Yes, flash is in manual mode (I'm not sure if I've fired it at it's lowest power, but think I have), and yes, fresh batteries.

Yes, flash and screen are awake, but should note that I noticed after taking the initial shot where the flash fires, even though the screen/flash is awake, I can not make any adjustments (buttons do nothing), nor fire again without turning the flash off then on again.

The flash will fire the first time using the CSR's test button, but will not fire again without the switch off/on again steps.

Again, all of the above issues only happen while on the SLFA, and connected to the CSR. When attached to the camera's hot shoe everything works as it should.

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:57 pm

Site Admin

What is the power source when using the CSR? Straight to the wall outlet? Extension cord? Power strip, surge protector? First, try straight to the wall, then to a different circuit if the problem persists.

It sounds like something may be interfering with the ground, perhaps? When this happens, remove power from the receiver and test a few times. Then remove the sync cord from the receiver, and test, then the cord from the adapter and test (obviously, these tests would be from the PILOT light button). Conversely, if the flash needs to be power cycled, do this test in reverse. We are trying to find the point where the flash does not respond to the buttons.

Ultimately, it could be the two are not compatible. This is the first time I have heard of problems with speedlites and the CSR, though most people use the CSRB battery powered receiver for this application.

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:03 pm

Technical Support wrote:
What is the power source when using the CSR? Straight to the wall outlet? Extension cord? Power strip, surge protector? First, try straight to the wall, then to a different circuit if the problem persists.

It sounds like something may be interfering with the ground, perhaps? When this happens, remove power from the receiver and test a few times. Then remove the sync cord from the receiver, and test, then the cord from the adapter and test (obviously, these tests would be from the PILOT light button). Conversely, if the flash needs to be power cycled, do this test in reverse. We are trying to find the point where the flash does not respond to the buttons.

Ultimately, it could be the two are not compatible. This is the first time I have heard of problems with speedlites and the CSR, though most people use the CSRB battery powered receiver for this application.

Again, thanks for your time and effort.

I've tried plugged directly into the wall outlet (was an extension cord), and even tried on a totally different circuit, with no luck.

I also tried my other CSR (I have two), same results.

When I test fire using the CST, it's one flash, then over.

If I unplug the sync cord (from light or CSR) I can flash away using the pilot button, without having to turn off/on. When I leave it plugged in, gotta turn off/on to get the CST to fire it again.

By the way, I did all of this testing at the lowest power setting on the flash.

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Site Admin

It appears to be an issue in the triggering mechanism of the CSR. This is a rare occurrence, but it can happened, though this is the first I have heard of one with a speedlite. This would be a mutual design incompatibility between the CSR and 430EXII, rather than a specimen specific fault.

All of our other receivers work a little differently, and should not have this problem. If the receivers are within 60 days, you can return them and repurchase one of the other remotes. I would recommend a battery powered receiver for a battery powered light, though the CSR+ should work.

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Technical Support wrote:
It appears to be an issue in the triggering mechanism of the CSR. This is a rare occurrence, but it can happened, though this is the first I have heard of one with a speedlite. This would be a mutual design incompatibility between the CSR and 430EXII, rather than a specimen specific fault.

All of our other receivers work a little differently, and should not have this problem. If the receivers are within 60 days, you can return them and repurchase one of the other remotes. I would recommend a battery powered receiver for a battery powered light, though the CSR+ should work.

Well, I have been planning to purchase another CSR, so I can use my two Bee's and the Speedlite from time to time, so I won't be returning anything.

I guess I would have to go with a CSRB, but are you sure it will work? I know you have a great return policy, but I would hate to have to pay return shipping on something that doesn't work as intended.

I'm assuming I can't get the discount since I didn't order this with my original package.

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Site Admin

When we first designed the CSR we found that some speedlights can"latch up" the CSR triggering circuitry. The CSRB, CSRB+ and , I believe, the CSR+ have different trigger circuitry that won't "latch up" so this should solve the problem.

When one "latches up", it will fire one shot, then stop, like you were seeing.

Sorry for the hassle.

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Site Admin

We see the 430EXII and CSRB combo on a regular basis, so you should not have any problems.

As for the discount, you would need to confer with Customer Service on that.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ]