Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ] 

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:53 pm

ok, is it due mainly to economics that the PLMs are selling like hotcakes?
what's the diff between PLMs and reg umbrellas?
more focused light?
i have a few different umbrellas and reflectors (of good quality) that i never use since i got a large fold-able Soft Box, large fold-able Octo Box, and a Beauty Dish from PCB.
I read the lit regarding the PLM stuff. i think i understand the basic idea of it.
I am not a learned photographer/studio lighting technician so it's possible that i am missing a point or two regarding the advantages of PLMs.
i assume they are lighter in weight than comparable sized SBs.
i read that some prefer a more perfectly round catch light of PLMs.
anything else?
I need some more gear and want to make an informed decision.
stick with SBs or try some PLMs?
does one need to use the PLM 7" reflector with all PLM umbrellas?
thnx,
Paul

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 am

Site Admin

Focusability/efficiency and versatility are the big things. Plus they are less expensive and allaround easier to deal with. I dont know how much a 70"+ soft box sells for, but i know i cannot justify the cost. Silver PLM's can act as highly focusable specular light sources, yet still retain a soft shadow quality and a high output. Or you can put a diffuser over them, and they act very similar to a softbox of a similar size. They collapse to about 2" or so, and are about 1/2 as long as thier measurement (i.e. 86" PLMS are about 43" long when folded). White PLM's are pretty similar to a translucent white umbrella with a more circular shape, and the option of bounce, bounce with diffuser, shoot through, or shoot through with backing (like our old brolly boxes).

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Technical Support wrote:
Focusability/efficiency and versatility are the big things. Plus they are less expensive and allaround easier to deal with. I dont know how much a 70"+ soft box sells for, but i know i cannot justify the cost. Silver PLM's can act as highly focusable specular light sources, yet still retain a soft shadow quality and a high output. Or you can put a diffuser over them, and they act very similar to a softbox of a similar size. They collapse to about 2" or so, and are about 1/2 as long as thier measurement (i.e. 86" PLMS are about 43" long when folded). White PLM's are pretty similar to a translucent white umbrella with a more circular shape, and the option of bounce, bounce with diffuser, shoot through, or shoot through with backing (like our old brolly boxes).

great...more decisions :roll:
(Yes, it is nice to have choices)
let's see if i got this somewhat straight...please correct me if i am wrong...
"focusability" means the PLM will(or can) output light like a reflector fitted with a honeycomb grid, or barndoors, or snoot which will show the spread of light with well defined edges?
NOT like a MAG-Light flashlight which can actually change the spread of light?
"efficiency" means more of the actual output from strobe is projected onto the subject(s) with less spill?
PLMs being more efficient than regular umbrellas though? i just don't get where a lot of loss of comes from softboxes.
i saw a tutorial showing the use of a CyberCommander and liked it very much. Is there a tutorial showing/comparing the PLMs against regular umbrellas and softboxes?
thanks a bunch
Paul

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 am

Site Admin

PLM actually widens and narrows the beam pattern. You won't see much focusing effect up close because of the large size of the source. But at a distance you can widen or focus the beam considerably. It always has pretty defined edges and near zero spill light outside it pattern. PLM V2 can achieve Guide Number close to 500 from 640WS . . . that's f9 at 50' at ISO 100. This compares with typical GN of about 100 from softboxes and white umbrellas (f2 at 50').

PLM is extremely efficient and easily overpowers the sun, and produces dramatic high punch lighting for fashion work.

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 am

thanks folks.
decisions...decisions :D

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:28 pm

Paul,

Any plans for a combined silver/gold PLMII for a slightly warmer light? Or better yet a warming front diffusion cloth? Or a slot for a sheet of gel on the PLMII Einstein holder?

Basically I would like to be able to manage the color temp of the Einstein+PLMII - most of the time to bring it down considerably, and a slide-in slot for a gel would help reduce the gel waste from having to attach each with gaffers tape and rip out / dispose.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:57 pm

Site Admin

http://www.alienbees.com/parts.html p/n 1110079 set of 12 clips

The above are intended to attach to the side of the reflectors to clip in gels. The bulldog clips on that page will also work.

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:20 am

FYI
Rob Galbraith did a nice piece on the PLMs.
Just what i was looking for and probably a big reason the PLMs are on back order.
Paul

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:23 am

Paul,

Do you have a link to the Galbraith article?

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:27 am

Site Admin

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... 0046-10396

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ]