Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ] 

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:51 am

It would be great if the cybercommander had a dedicated meter button. Often the joystick get's jogged either from handling or when pushing the button and it doesn't meter. (Yes, I know that this is not an easy "fix..." :roll: "

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:34 am

alp wrote:
It would be great if the cybercommander had a dedicated meter button. Often the joystick get's jogged either from handling or when pushing the button and it doesn't meter. (Yes, I know that this is not an easy "fix..." :roll: "

I personally would also like a simplified, non-LCD based cybercommander or with a minimal LCD. Something like the Godox FT16

For me, the joystick is too easy to accidentally trigger and it's finicky. Sometimes I have to push it down 3 or 4 times or toggle it through a few different settings to get it to trigger.

I'm guessing it's extremely unlikely though.

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:55 am

Site Admin

If the screen is off, it will take a button activation to wake the CC, then the first actuation of either button is ignored (presumably to avoid accidental triggering, which can also screw up your displayed meter reading of not aimed correctly), then the third press will fire and meter the light. So that is three presses, but scrolling through a different setting should not be required.

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Technical Support wrote:
If the screen is off, it will take a button activation to wake the CC, then the first actuation of either button is ignored (presumably to avoid accidental triggering, which can also screw up your displayed meter reading of not aimed correctly), then the third press will fire and meter the light. So that is three presses, but scrolling through a different setting should not be required.

no, that is not what is happening. There are many cases where it just doesn't work. I have had cases where I had to turn the light off for 10-15 seconds to re-establish a connection. Not sure if that is a bug in the einstein firmware, the cyber or something else but the connection is not as common as the mis-fires from the cybercommander.

I did send that cybercommander back to have it refurbished and I bought a 2nd one to use as a backup but the second one has the same issues. I was hoping that maybe the original one's springs had compressed or the switch contacts were dirty but it behaves the same as the original.

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Site Admin

Have you tried changing frequencies?

Power cycling the light would not affect communications (the light and Cyber Commander communications are still present when powered off), and if it were to for some reason, it would not be firmware related.

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Technical Support wrote:

So, if the screen is on and a down/up/side press of the stick occurs the menu selection changes which may cause the intended meter press to do something else. A common occurrence when changing power settings and re-metering. A dedicated meter button would eliminate the possibility of an unintended change in settings (or menu selection).

As I titled this: A wish.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:18 pm

Site Admin

alp wrote:

I understand. Your request has been noted.

My statements were directed toward jzucker for trouble shooting purposes.

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Technical Support wrote:
Have you tried changing frequencies?

Power cycling the light would not affect communications (the light and Cyber Commander communications are still present when powered off), and if it were to for some reason, it would not be firmware related.

I'm talking about hard-powering it off. Not powering it off via the cyber-commander. I'm pretty sure when I pull he plug on the light, the cyber and the receiver are not still communicating. ;)

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Technical Support wrote:
alp wrote:

I understand. Your request has been noted.

My statements were directed toward jzucker for trouble shooting purposes.

and yes, I've tried 3 different frequencies at the beginning, middle and end of the range and have the same issues. I'm not the only one. Many photographers have switched from the cyber to the PW for the same reason. I'm personally willing to stick it out with the idiosyncrasies in order to get the additional flexibility but i'd gladly use a simplified version were it available.

I also think many of the issues are due to the joystick/switching system. I think they are inherently unreliable from a mechanical point of view. That's why I think revamping the transmitter makes sense. Or better yet, develop a transmitter module that can plug into a phone or tablet so an app could be written to configure the lights.

Top Top

#

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 am

Site Admin

Is the misfiring more/only from the hotshoe connection, the buttons, or about equal from both?

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ]