Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 8 posts ] 

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Anyone know of a diffusion sock for the old WL10,000 and WL5,000 series of lights?

I know they are just a little bit over 7 inches in diameter, but since the outside of the light is straight instead of flared, it might be a problem keeping the sock from "shooting" itself off the front.

I find the diffusion gels so hard to keep organized and transport, so I was hoping there might be a sock I can use.

Thanks in advance.

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:51 am

Not sure if this will work, but I was talking to my mentor about light diffusers and he suggested an embroidery hoop to hold the material. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it would work.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:41 am

Site Admin

We do not make one, though I have seen them around.

You will need to be careful, though, as these fabrics are often cheap and use materials that fluoresce under UV light. Non-UV coated tubes are available for the 10,000's, so that may be a concern for you, depending on which tubes you have. Even UV coated tubes can show color casts from cheap translucent fabrics.

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 am

Thank you, both alp and Technical Support:

Quote:
You will need to be careful, though, as these fabrics are often cheap and use materials that fluoresce under UV light.

Yes, that is my main concern: I don't want to end up with a fabric that changes the color / tint.

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Site Admin

All fabric will have a color shift. Some more than others (we try to keep it to about 250K per fabric or less) You can try a cut down PLM or DS22R held in place by a rubber band. I would not have a model lamp installed, as it would be very close to the fabric in these lights and heat could cause issues.

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Lee Filters makes something called "Heavy Frost #129" and it's listed as "Flame Retardant" too. I get a lot of filters from my local theatrical lighting company that carries the Lee stock. Most sheets are around 22x24 inches I think and sell for about $6 per sheet.

I have made cones using wooden embroidery hoops as mentioned. Wooden hoops come in all sizes from 3" up to 12" and even some oval ones at the fabric stores. I used two hoops with 3 one-foot sections of heavy brass wire from a hobby shop to separate them. Thee holes in each of the two inner hoops for a press fit of the brass wire and you have a cone of sorts.

I also do the same hoop thing for any color correction filters like their #201-202 series that are blue to get tungsten up to daylight balance. Lee calls them "Cut filters" or something instead of color correction.

Mack

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Site Admin

Heavy frost gels will work fine. You may be able to just clip them in place with bulldog type clips.

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi all:

Thanks for the suggestions regarding gels.

I do still have my diffusion gel set DF6 from PCB.

Since I am mostly using umbrellas, I find it a bit difficult to get them on and off and slide the umbrella shaft through the mounting hole without destroying the filters (or without making the hole for the umbrella shaft too big).

Maybe I am doing something wrong???

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 8 posts ]