Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Two Questions About White Lightning Ultra 600 Accessories:

1) Do they require a special (i.e., expensive) power cord? Or do they just take a typical power cord like the kind that plugs into the back of a desktop computer?

2) Is there a significant difference between the early models that take the straight pin flash tubes and the later models that take the banana pin flash tubes?

Bonus question: I see these sell on ebay for about $100 less than used Alien Bees B800. Are the B800 really worth $100 more than an Ultra 600? (I am guessing it is just because the bees are lighter and the replacement costs of flash tubes is less).

Thanks in advance.

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Site Admin

AlienBees have always been very popular on the resale market - typically holding 80%+ of their cost. ABs have always been a sort of giant cult phenomenon. Sort of like the VW Beetle.

People want them all around the world and we can't provide a decent price to international buyers, so many turn to eBay.

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Site Admin

The power cords are basic cords like you would use in a computer. Nothing fancy.

The flash tubes are not interchangeable (though we can update the straight wire head to banana plug style head). The banana plug style are easier to install vs the straight wire. The behavior of the tubes will remain the same.

There are many factors as to why the Bees are worth more (as per eBay sold listings). Part of that, I would imagine, is brand familiarity. Also, age. (this is a total guess on my part, however).

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:06 pm

I bought a bunch of these coiled AC power cords in LA.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/lcac-427/3-iec-coil-cord/1.html

They work very well with the Vagabond-Mini on a stand and up to the strobe head on top. Gets rid of a lot of extra bulk wiring for only $3.50 each.

Mack

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Thank you all for the input!

But just to confirm, there isn't anything "wrong" with the white lightning ultras that were made before 1991 (ie., those requiring the straight wire), is there?

There was never a "recall" or anything like that was there?

I only asked because someone selling a "newer" ultra with the banana plug tubes said that the older straight wire tubes would "weld themselves" to the lights (his words, not mine).

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Site Admin

Some truth to this. The older straight wire pins didn't offer as much contact as the newer banana plug type, and a few would weld themselves against the contacts. But this was never a huge problem.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]