Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm looking to add an ABR800 to my lighting setup. If I'm using my Canon 5D with a pocket wizard to trigger a AB600 I'm assuming I would trigger the ABR800 with a cord to my camera. But in the past I've notice on the 5D that either the hotshoe (PW) or the pc will work but not at the same time.

Would the only workaround to have the PW on the 5D and then a cord out of the PW to the ABR800?

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:15 pm

Site Admin

According to Pg 102 of the 5D manual, at the very bottom it stated you should be able to use both the hotshoe as well as PC connection simultaneously. Alternatively, you could use a pass through hotshoe adapter with a PC connection.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:51 pm

this works on my 1D3 currently. I attach my ABR800 to the camera's PC terminal and trigger the bg lights with a wireless trigger on my hotshoe.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:43 pm

I'm going to go home tonight and retest this scenario. I noticed when David of strobist had a pic of himself shooting with an ABR800 & 1600 it looked like he had a PW on his Nikon and a PW attached to his ABR.

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:08 pm

I am using the D300, ab800 and the pw to fire them. they work great in the studio. i did have an issue getting the right cord to use. I guess if i had purchased the right cord this would have not have been a problem. I tried a mono plug purchased at radioshack. I then remembered that the AB's came with dummy plugs. I took the dummy plug and a cord that came with the PW and soldered them together and work great.

my question however is I plan on using them in a large gym for a basketball tourney, i only have one set of PW, i am going to use 2 lights diagonal and pointed to the top of the Key. will the master flash be strong enough to fire the AB800 on the opposite side? or will i have to purchase another PW!

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Site Admin

it is best to have a radio remote on each light in a gym, as many flashes from the stands could set yours off, and your flash may not reach.

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:24 am

I have to agree that it would probably be optimal to have a remote on each light in order to prevent stray flashes from trigger your Ab's; however PW's aren't the only available option. The RadioPopper JrX Studio receivers are a fine alternative. You can actually group several strobes together and adjust the power output of each group through all 5 stops... from the transmitter on your hot shoe.

Of course there is always the Cyber Commander. Unfortunately I purchased the RP's before the Cyber Commander was available so I can not speak from experience using that particular piece of hardware. But I am happy with the RP's performance with my AB800's.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]