Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 pm

I've followed the directions to setup my new Cyber Commander with my 2 AB B800 units and can successfully adjust the modeling lights and trigger the flash from the CC. but when I attach the CC to the hot shoe and take a picture with my Canon T3i, no flash. When I go to the built in flash menu settings on the camera it says "this option not available because external flash is connected" so the camera senses the Cyber Commander, it just doesn't seem to be communicating with it. As an experiment I also tried connecting the CC to the camera using a 2 sided 1/8th jack instead of the hot shoe (there is not a port on the camera for the PC cord that came with the CC) but with no success. This is a popular camera (less so with pro photographers but still), someone must have figured out how to make this work right?
Thank you,

Top Top

#

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 am

Site Admin

Are you trying to shoot in live view mode? Canon Rebels cannot trigger "dumb" triggers (i.e. non-TTL) when in live view. Other Canons can, but must have a certain setting made.

The other possibility is the foot in the CC is not working correctly. Trying on a different camera will help determine the root cause.

Top Top

#

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Technical Support wrote:
Are you trying to shoot in live view mode? Canon Rebels cannot trigger "dumb" triggers (i.e. non-TTL) when in live view. Other Canons can, but must have a certain setting made.

The other possibility is the foot in the CC is not working correctly. Trying on a different camera will help determine the root cause.

You are correct. It will work if I turn off live view and use the optical viewfinder. This is very frustrating as I bought the camera specifically for the live view feature as I am shooting highly detailed engagement rings and can't see through the view finder if the shot is correct. Do you know if it would work if I connected the Cyber Commander through the HDMI port? Or can you think of any other work around?

Top Top

#

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Site Admin

The only things I can think of are as follows:

-Put a TTL trigger in between the the Cyber Sync and the camera. This will gain up the LCD screen

-Switch cameras. To my knowledge, this is the only line of cameras that does this. Even higher end Canons can work. Maybe a 60D or 70D.

-Alternatively, use a manual speedlite in minimum power to trigger the optical slaves and keep the CC handy for adjustments.

There are certainly more users here and elsewhere on the web that may know something that I don't about this.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]