Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:03 am

I just watched a video that was explaining the Cyber Commander. One of the things the guy doing the video was very insistent about was not using rechargeable battery's. This is quote from the video.

"Lithium batteries are also disposable batteries. Any AA size battery that you can recharge will only deliver 1.25 volts, which results in a .5 volt under condition, which completely freaks the unit out in short order! It works best with alkaline batteries."

I just in the last few days set up all my lights and I am having some issues with a few of the receivers as well as the Cyber Commander. I am using NiMH batteries in everything.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Gary

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:39 am

Site Admin

The Nominal voltage of Alkaline batteries is 1.5V, or 3V for a pair. As the batteries age, this voltage will decrease until the unit will no longer function.

The nominal voltage of NiMH batteries is 1.2V and a pair would be 2.4V. While this is enough to run the Cyber Commander, however, as the batteries discharge, the voltage drops even lower. The threshold for the unit to quit working is the same, regardless of battery type. In essence, you are effectively putting in old batteries.

Also, most MiMH batteries self discharge rather rapidly, so the would likely need to be charged before every use.

Will using rechargeable hurt the Cyber Commander? No. But the lower voltage can cause problems faster than would happen with alkaline or lithium batteries. We have heard reports of people successfully using Low Self Discharge rechargeable batteries (like Eneloop or similar). While the battery life per charge may not be as good as with alkaline, the lower self discharge rate apparently allows sufficient battery life to be usable. Your Mileage May Vary.

As for the other products in the CyberSync line, NiMH are perfectly acceptable batteries for their use.

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:49 am

I am in fact using the Eneloop batteries.

I noticed last night the the batteries in the Commander were almost dead and I would say there was no more than 2 hours total use.

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:42 pm

Site Admin

What firmware version are you running?

Do you keep the screen on when in use, or let it go to sleep when triggering?

How long have the batteries been installed (i.e. did you put them in a week ago, use it a bit, then let it rest for a week)?

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:08 pm

spent and hour with tech just a bit ago, the lady that helped me is very sharp and really able to explain everything. I told her she should write up the setup procedures.

I will use Lithium batteries in the Commander and my Eneloops in the receivers.

Oh, I have V 50 firmware.

I purchased all my products back in Feb, adding things as I went along. I just finished my studio a couple of weeks ago and just un-boxed everything last week.

Right now all is working great, thanks to the your excellent lady technician.

Gary

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]