Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:47 am

Hello,

Sorry in advance if this is a rookie question but after hours of trial and error and google searching I figured I'd just ask some experts.

I have D4S, an E640, a TT1, and and MC2. I'm trying to shoot at greater than x-speed but getting unable black bars at anything over 1/320. By "unusable" I mean ~50% of the image.

However with a D800 I get decent results. But when I move the TT1 to the D4S (and keep all settings the same)... the black bar returns.

Does anyone know if there is an issue with D4S's or does anyone use a D4S with an E640 and if so what are your settings?

Thanks in advance.

Top Top

#

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:57 am

Hi, Mykin

Except for a few bodies like the D70 that have an electronic shutter, Nikon DSLR's shutters are limited to a flash sync of - at best - 1/320th. I currently shoot with D800's (as well as Einsteins as my go-to monos), and slight banding begins to creep in at 1/320th. Even at 1/250th - depending on the situation - I will sometimes see a slight vignetting on one side of the frame caused by the leading edge of the shutter curtain. This is also all consistent with the D200's, D300's, and D700's I have owned.

So, I can't think of any shutter or flash sync variable between your D800 and D4s that would account for the difference.

Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Craig, thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't expect any difference either but the D4S is acting very different from the D800 with all setting being the same. All I do is move the TT1 between cameras.

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:00 am

Are you using hypersync on your PW's? I don't use PW that often and have no experience with the MC2 and TT1's you have, but that would be the variable I would look at next. Perhaps the difference is not so much the bodies themselves, but the way they are working in conjunction with the PW units and/or hypersync if you are using it.

Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com

Last edited by craig16229 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:34 am

Site Admin

Each camera will behave with the TT PocketWizards differently. Also, keep in mind that HyperSync is only possible at or very very near full power with Einstein.

We are not really familiar with all of the variables, so we would need to defer you to LPA/PocketWizard for any official answer.

They can be reached at 802-658-0038 x572

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]