Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!

I just received the Xmas gift (a couple of Einsteins and a VLX) I was hoping for, but now I have a conundrum.

I've been shooting Speedotron for years in studio and have loads and loads of Speedo Mods, but now that I'm making the move to the PCB family of products, I have exactly zero soft boxes, reflectors, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has every attempted to make an Speedo > PCB adapter.

Would save me a TON of time and $$$ if I didn't have to start from scratch, but I will be buying PCB mods going forward with confidence.

Thanks and Have a great 2015!

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:04 am

When I switched over from Bowens to Einsteins a few years ago, I just bought new insert rings for my quickrings which allowed me to keep using all Calumet mods I have. I don't know Speedotron mods, but hoping you can do the same.

Craíg
http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:54 pm

You should have no trouble swapping your speed ring inserts for buff/balcar.

Kacey enterprises made an adapter for the speedo beauty dish that was pretty easy to swap in if you're the handy sort. Google it. He's not a bad dude. But his customer service ain't Buff...

The trouble is cans + grids. You've probably got a set of 7in grids that you'd like to be able to use out of the box. When switching to buff you're stuck with the conundrum of using the 7in Buff reflectors. Which, to be honest, have a "strange" light quality. Or, buying the 8in cans and grids. Not the end of the world... But $200 can be spent elsewhere.

Good luck.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:56 am

Thanks everyone for the tips... On further review and playing around with the gear, I've concluded that it's not really worth the effort to pursue finding adapters for the Speedotron mods. Most of the items I wanted to use were reflectors and grids, but the Speedotron reflectors require the bulb to nest deeply into the reflector. The PCB monoblock bulbs are simply not long enough.

I did check out the Kacey adapters and they look like a good solution for bigger soft boxes... particularly if you are using them outside in breezy/windy conditions. Although the price is a shocker.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:17 am

Kenneth.Rhem wrote:
. . . when switching to buff you're stuck with the conundrum of using the 7in Buff reflectors. Which, to be honest, have a "strange" light quality..

Good luck.

One thing you play around with for that is putting a layer or two of Glad Cling Wrap on the front of your reflectors. Or - cut a couple of "discs" of wax paper and line the inside of your reflector grids with them.

Just be careful with heat if you are using the modeling lights since doing the above does alter the dispersion of heat from out of the front of your reflectors/grids.

Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]