Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:03 pm

I purchased a CST a few weeks ago, and chalked up the "tight fit" to something that would even itself out over time... but after dozens of mounts/unmounts, my CST hotshoe mount is still such a tight fit it feels like I'm close to breaking it every time I mount or remove it.

Anyone have any suggestions or stories if you somehow overcame your own CST mount issue? Is it normal for the CST to mount so "snug," or did I get an oddball which I should simply exchange?

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:46 pm

My CST fits nice and snug, the way I like it. Now when we talk about "fit", there is going to be a wide range of everyone's definition of what a good "fit" is going to be. This is going to very from camera to camera and from brand to brand. A fit that is snug-tight I can deal with as long as the contacts are working but a fit that is loose or sloppy needs some attention. I did bump my CST while it was on my camera once. I went to check it for looseness, it seemed to be OK. Better a snug-tight fit than loose IMAO.

RMS

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Agreed. However, in my case I'm having to put so much pressure to the CST body to mount and unmount it, it feels like I'm about to break something (the CST, or worse, my hotshoe).

My speedlights, for example, snap into my hotshoe with a nice, positive click and feel quite snug when mounted, but don't require any "un-due" amount of force to install or remove. By contrast, I have a hotshoe extension cord which has an ever-so-slightly "sloppy" mount, and if I don't lock the connector, a moderate pull from the cord itself could dislodge the hotshoe connection.

For the CST, though -- I've actually come close to hurting my fingers if I don't hold the CST just right, it takes so much force to mount/unmount.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:14 am

Site Admin

Speedlites should fit perfectly, as they are designed for a particular camera, if not by the same company, plus most have a locking mechanism to compensate for any tolerance issues. The CST is designed to fit any ISO hotshoe, and do so snugly without any locking mechanism as each camera manufacturer has a different style lock, and the thumb wheels can get stuck.

If you are experiencing issues with the CST, the easiest way i have found to mount and dismount one is by pressing as close to the bottom as possible. Also, place the CST upright on a firm surface (desk, table, counter, ect.) and push straight down several times. This exercises the spring a little and may make it install a little easier. In extremely rare cases, there may be a little extra plastic around the edges of each molded piece, and if it is where the two halves mate in the side rail area of the foot, this can prevent mounting. This is easily removed with an Xacto knife. If all of this passes, and you are still unhappy with the fit, the bottom side of the foot can be sanded. We don't generally reccomend this, as it does reduce the tension used to keep the remote in place, but if it works for you, it can be done.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:10 am

Site Admin

These fit tight on purpose. We see many complaints from other triggers that they fall off. I have never sen a broken camera shoe or CST from this. I just wiggle it on and off, as do most.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46 am

Okay, sounds like I'll spend some quality time in the garage with some sandpaper and/or bastard file.

I completely understand the desire for a snug fit, but I must have the perfect storm of a snug hotshoe to begin with and a very tight CST... There's no way I can leave it like this and not sprain a finger or snap something in half one of these days.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:01 am

Thank you for posting in this thread. I was having the exact same problem and was becoming resigned to trying to come up with a work-a-round. The sanding worked and I can now mount the transmitter in the hotshoe.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]