Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:01 am

I'm generally unhappy with the quality of the Paul Buff branded light stands: The bottom bracket is way too fragile and I have had two break; One was under warranty and the other, out of warranty, a couple of nights ago while setting up for a session.

While all other products are good, I cannot and will not be recommending the stands.

I have replaced all actively in use Paul Buff light stands with Manfrotto 1004BAC.

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:27 am

alp wrote:
I'm generally unhappy with the quality of the Paul Buff branded light stands: The bottom bracket is way too fragile and I have had two break; One was under warranty and the other, out of warranty, a couple of nights ago while setting up for a session.

While all other products are good, I cannot and will not be recommending the stands.

I have replaced all actively in use Paul Buff light stands with Manfrotto 1004BAC.

Yea and your talking a $50.00 upgrade for the manfroto stands. I own both, a single buff stand and 4 manfroto's like the ones you listed. I use the manfroto over the buff stand unless I need all I have. Mine hasn't broken but the manfrotos are a nicer stand. (And they stack and store well) as well as more expensive.

You have to remember the market of the buff stands. They make a decent stand for the money. Maybe not able to handle the abuse of a busy photography but what you would expect coming out of China.

I don't hate my buff stand, I just have better. Not everyone can afford pro equipment. Buff gives those photographers an option. look at what's out there for a 13' stand for $70.00... Compare apples to apples. Now for that $115-$120 your going to spend on manfrotos, you will get a nice pack and go stand. Mine have put a lot of mileage in the trunk of my car and dragged around on many location shoots. But if I had a nice studio, I would go heavier and on wheels.

Top Top

#

Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:40 pm

I don't "hate" Buff stands, I hate not knowing if they've survived a trip from place to place. I am willing to pay a premium for durability. I do not baby my equipment, I willfully use it.

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:34 pm

Over years of photography, I've accumulated I don't know how many light stands - short ones, tall ones, flimsy ones, sturdy ones, expensive ones, cheap ones, and free ones that I can't even remember what they came with, LOL. I've never gotten rid of one because all seem to come in handy for one thing or another at one time or another. Some of the thinner flimsier ones never see as much as a speed light mounted on them, but are good for quickly hanging flags, reflectors, diffusers, scrims, whatever. My most expensive sturdiest ones definitely get the most use for mounting and booming e640s.

Craig

httpS://www.craigwasselphotoart.com

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]