Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Thu May 28, 2015 10:01 pm

I saw the Einstein specs are action-stopping up to 1/13,500 second (t.1)

Does the Einstein or commander recognize my shutter speed? Confused?

Top Top

#

Thu May 28, 2015 10:57 pm

Keano12 wrote:
I saw the Einstein specs are action-stopping up to 1/13,500 second (t.1)

Does the Einstein or commander recognize my shutter speed? Confused?

Hi, again, Keano12

Neither Einsteins nor CyberCommanders recognize the camera's shutter speed.

That 1/13,500th of a second is - in somewhat simplified but practical terms - the length of time light is being emitted from the Einstein. So, lets say you are in a completely dark room and the length of time light is emitted from your Einstein - and therefore the length of time light falls on your subject - is 1/13,500th of a second. Light only falls on the subject for 1/13,500th of a second, so that *effectively* takes the place of a fast shutter speed and freezes motion.

This is not to be confused with hyper-sync, high speed sync, etc., where flash is used in combination with high shutter speeds. With those, the high shutter speed is what freezes the motion. Einsteins do not have this functionality.

Craig

https://www.craigwasselphotoart.com

Top Top

Website

#

Thu May 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Hmm so you would have to effectively kill as much ambient light as you could with your aperture or use a ND filter?

Top Top

#

Fri May 29, 2015 12:43 am

Keano12 wrote:
Hmm so you would have to effectively kill as much ambient light as you could with your aperture or use a ND filter?

Yup, that's pretty much it. Here is a senior portrait I did a few years ago with Einsteins. I don't have the exact settings at hand, but I believe the shutter speed was about 1/250th, ISO was around 400, aperture around F/4 or F/5.6, and flash duration was around 1/4000th. This was around dusk, and if you look closely you can see some smudging around the edges of the girl, which is motion blur from the ambient light contributing a bit to the exposure on her:

Craig

https://www.craigwasselphotoart.com

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Kind of a different question but when metering I have to input the shutter and ISO and it gives me the power. Or does it automatically read the settings from my camera if it is on camera?

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Site Admin

Our equipment cannot communicate with the camera beyond the simple "fire" command, so you will need to set up the Cyber Commander manually.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]