Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Thu May 28, 2015 2:03 pm

I am used to Bowen? Can Buff adapters on Einstein hold large modifiers no problem and securley?

Top Top

#

Thu May 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Keano12 wrote:
I am used to Bowen? Can Buff adapters on Einstein hold large modifiers no problem and securley?

Hi, Keano12

Note - I am not a PCB employee nor do I receive any compensation from them in any way :-)

What I am is a long-time shooter who switched from using Bowens Gemini as my go-to lights over to Einsteins a little more than 4 years ago.

I have three Einsteins, and use some pretty heavy mods on them at times. My heaviest is a Visico 59", which is a non-umbrella Octa with heavy-duty rods, an inner and outer diffuser, as well as an optional grid. That - in combination with the Bowens Quick-rings I use - make it quite heavy. I have never had it or any other mod fall off one of my Einsteins.

There are certainly many of these "falling off" reports, and I am not saying you don't have to worry about it at all. Here is a tip that I have offered many times, and IMO it is a critical one with the Balcar mount: Fully assemble your softbox/octa and put it face-down on the ground or floor. Then, take your Einstein and mount it to your adapter ring, etc. This will use gravity to help you make sure your Einstein's fingers and faceplate are as flush and tight to the Balcar ring as possible. Now, lift the whole thing together and mount it to your lightstand. This is the approach I almost always use, as opposed to trying to mount the mod with the Einstein already mounted to your lightstand.

When I remove the mod, I do the reverse. I take the entire Einstein and mod off the lightstand as one and dis-assemble. If you try to remove a heavy mod directly from the Einstein, it can quickly slip down on you and break your dome, modeling light, or flash tube (or all of the above).

Last, I would still have cable restraints for any light that could come down on any client regardless of make and model of the light. There are some simple DIY approaches for adding a cable restraint to an Einstein if you Google around a bit. I use one of those ideas, but don't have a photo of that handy.

Craig

https://www.craigwasselphotoart.com

Top Top

Website

#

Thu May 28, 2015 3:33 pm

craig16229 wrote:
Keano12 wrote:

Hi, Keano12

Note - I am not a PCB employee nor do I receive any compensation from them in any way :-)

What I am is a long-time shooter who switched from using Bowens Gemini as my go-to lights over to Einsteins a little more than 4 years ago.

I have three Einsteins, and use some pretty heavy mods on them at times. My heaviest is a Visico 59", which is a non-umbrella Octa with heavy-duty rods, an inner and outer diffuser, as well as an optional grid. That - in combination with the Bowens Quick-rings I use - make it quite heavy. I have never had it or any other mod fall off one of my Einsteins.

There are certainly many of these "falling off" reports, and I am not saying you don't have to worry about it at all. Here is a tip that I have offered many times, and IMO it is a critical one with the Balcar mount: Fully assemble your softbox/octa and put it face-down on the ground or floor. Then, take your Einstein and mount it to your adapter ring, etc. This will use gravity to help you make sure your Einstein's fingers and faceplate are as flush and tight to the Balcar ring as possible. Now, lift the whole thing together and mount it to your lightstand. This is the approach I almost always use, as opposed to trying to mount the mod with the Einstein already mounted to your lightstand.

When I remove the mod, I do the reverse. I take the entire Einstein and mod off the lightstand as one and dis-assemble. If you try to remove a heavy mod directly from the Einstein, it can quickly slip down on you and break your dome, modeling light, or flash tube (or all of the above).

Last, I would still have cable restraints for any light that could come down on any client regardless of make and model of the light. There are some simple DIY approaches for adding a cable restraint to an Einstein if you Google around a bit. I use one of those ideas, but don't have a photo of that handy.

Craig

Great advice. I like that idea. It makes complete sense actually. Thanks.

Top Top

#

Thu May 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Site Admin

Properly functioning lights should not have any problems holding upto 7' octaboxes, if the box is mounted properly, i.e. all four fingers inside the speedring, and the speedring "seated" on the mounting fingers. Do not rely on the spring tension to lift a box into place. Follow Craig's advice with regards to mounting to the light off the stand, and the light will be seated properly. Alternatively, mounting the mod then shifting the box up to allow the fingers to expand without lifting the box will also work.

That said, there may be a time when the mounting system fails, typically due to age or abuse (though no product is 100% free from faults). If this happens, we can correct the problem if the light is sent to us.

Lastly, no two manufacturers use the exact same shape for the speedrings for the Balcar mount. There are some that are not shaped quite right and may have a higher propensity to dismount than other speedrings. If I recall correctly, Creative Light rings were a little more rounded than many others, which reduced grip on Einstein. Otherwise, most speedrings should work fine. If your particular box is very big and you are concerned, most manufacturers have speedrings with threads in them so they may be mounted to a stand and the light is supporting itself (much less torque is applied to the fingers in this case).

Top Top

#

Thu May 28, 2015 4:12 pm

Technical Support wrote:

Lastly, no two manufacturers use the exact same shape for the speedrings for the Balcar mount. There are some that are not shaped quite right and may have a higher propensity to dismount than other speedrings. If I recall correctly, Creative Light rings were a little more rounded than many others, which reduced grip on Einstein.

This is the insert I use with my Quickrings:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... alcar.html

I think I may have even had this one recommended to me in this forum several years ago when I was making my switch to Einsteins, and went this route since I had quite a few mods and several Quickrings. I've purchased three at different times, and their shape/size/hold have been consistent.

If you are starting over with mods when you go to Einsteins, the PCB mods are great and that would avoid ring shape/size issues like what Tech Support noted about the Creative Light brand. And - PCB will stand behind anything they make with their usual A+ support.

Craig

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:26 am

Keano12,

When I picked up my lights in Nashville last month, I got my first look at the Einstein. The mount concerned me, as well. I questioned if the light was strong enough to hold a large soft box in place. I thought the position/angle would slip, due to the moment produced by the large boxes. The Buff associate assured me that it was stable. I couldn't see the fingers and did not know of the history of mount issues with the first versions of the product. Since then, I have read the forum.

Mounting a large octabox on the light is awkward, until you do it a few times and discover the better ways. Dome breakage is possible if the metal speed ring is allowed to strike the dome with enough force. Mounting the light on a fully opened octabox is something I will try. However, the way I found the easiest so far is to mount the folded octabox on the light first. Then, open the umbrella structure and tighten the thumbscrew to lock it in the open position. After that, the fabric inner diffuser can be easily attached. With the octabox mounted and positioned at a convenient height, the front diffuser and grid can be attached with the velcro. I tried opening the octabox before mounting it on the light and it was awkward due to the large diameter and depth. I do realize that mounting the light on a fully opened modifier positioned on the floor would be easily controllable and very safe from a damage standpoint. But, you still have to bend over and it is quite a reach to the center of a large open modifier. You need both hands to hold the light and control the fingers.

After reading about the issues with the first versions and knowing what to look for, I examined the light looking for mount weakness. With an 86 inch PLM mounted to the Einstein, I looked carefully at stability of the fingers and the stand mount. I believe both have been redesigned. The stand mount is now solid aluminum. The fingers hold very well and do not move, once locked in position. The vertical angle swivel is very solid after the handle is tightened.

I spent a lot of years doing product development. There were always problems, both mechanical and electrical with early prototypes and lesser problems with early production units. It is impossible to design a complex new product and get it to market without modifying the design, often several times in different areas. Small manufacturers like Buff don't have the capacity for four season testing like the automobile manufacturers. Problems don't show up until there are sufficient numbers in use. After enough field experience and high volume production, the design and production process can be tweaked to the point that issues are few and far between.

It appears to me that the design of Einstein is mature and solid at this point. The mount should not be a problem as long as a properly fitting speed ring, or reflector is used.

Comparing the Buff 47 inch octabox with light modifiers I have used in the past, I am impressed with robust design and the low purchase price. I expect that they will give years of service.

Buff has a history of standing behind the product. All of the early version Einsteins were replaced without cost to the customer. They offer a 60 day satisfaction guarantee. I am convinced that there is no better option and no risk to giving Einstein a try.

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Larry Kunk wrote:
. . . . Mounting the light on a fully opened octabox is something I will try. However, the way I found the easiest so far is to mount the folded octabox on the light first. Then, open the umbrella structure and tighten the thumbscrew to lock it in the open position. . . . .

Hi, Larry

The method I described is definitely not as helpful on an umbrella style softbox/modifier since the rods are permanently attached, and tend to be much more light-weight. The method you described would not work well, however, with a heavy-weight, heavy duty softbox/modifier where the sturdier, thicker rods need to be "flexed" into holes on a speed ring.

Craig

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]