Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:28 pm

I am interested in getting barndoors for my lights, but I am unclear on the relationship between the barndoors and the "LiteMod" Mainframe. I understand I can use the barndoors directly on the 7" reflectors (which I have three of) without need for the Mainframe, but the descriptions says that the barndoors "when used with the Mainframe, can be used in conjunction with honeycomb grids..." I intend to attach barndoors to 7" reflectors WITH grids. Does this mean I need the Mainframe? And I would like to get some colored gels to use with the same setup. Can I easily use barndoors, grids & gels (clipped on) without the mainframe, or is this a kludge?
Also, how secure is the attachment between the barndoors and the 7" reflector w/o mainframe (I ask because square barndoor frame appears to be built specifically for the Mainframe)?

Top Top

#

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:12 pm

Site Admin

The main frame was made before the 7" reflectors had a grid lip, so it was more of a selling point some time ago, but it is useful information to know it can still hod grids if needed.

The barndoors fit quite solidly on the 7" reflectors, as the square is slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the reflector. There are relief cuts in the barndoor frame to accommodate the extra diameter, which holds the barndoors on.

Barn doors and grids together are no problem for the 7" reflector. Gels and grids are not much of a problem. Using the barndoors with gels is kind of a kludge with the 7" reflector, and not something I would want to do. Using the mainframe, you have quick change capability with grids, snoot (which does require the main frame), barndoors and gels.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]