Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ] 

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Has anyone tried this? The MIOPS only comes with a 3.5mm to PC Sync cable... Would a 3.5mm mono cable work?

Currently I have to attach the trigger to a speed light and trip the Einsteins as slaves... It adds an unnecessary level of complexity that I would rather not deal with.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:30 pm

Site Admin

While we have never tried the device, the intro video does show 3.5 to 3.5 cables being used to trigger a speedlite, so I would imagine the same can be done for a studio flash.

Depending on the pinout of the 3.5mm jack in the remote, it is uncertain if a stereo or mono cord would be best.

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 am

Thanks for the info. Here is what I got from the MIOPS folks:

Miops triggers any device which has an external trigger port which works by shorting the terminals on that port. If you know that Paul C. Buff Einstein has such a port, you will need the proper cable which will provide the connection between this port and Miops. Miops will shorten two terminals on the port and the device will be triggered. This is the idea behind Miops.

Does this make sense?

Thanks again

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:54 am

Site Admin

Yes, it makes perfect sense. This is essentially how all triggering works.

However, depending on the functions of a given remote, there may be two switches, and this could affect the cabling required, or the way the connector is designed (not all 3.5mm connectors are exactly the same internally, as there are variations for mono and stereo).

Ultimately, if you get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm mono cord, you should be fine. I would suggest getting one that is non-attenuating (filters out pops and noise).

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:23 pm

Thanks for the help. I have a 3.5-3.5 mono cord on the way from Amazon and will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:43 am

I finally got around to testing the mono cord I ordered from Amazon and it works great. No more having to trigger a speedlight to trigger the Einsteins.

The cord I got was:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O7AXXI

Thanks for the help.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Site Admin

Glad to see it works!

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:07 pm

So I just bought all the above... MIOPS and have 4 einstein strobes and just purchases the mono cord. So, my question is, I have to plug in the mono cordfrom the Cyber Commander into the MIOPS trigger?

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:44 pm

Site Admin

vinnylo26 wrote:
So I just bought all the above... MIOPS and have 4 einstein strobes and just purchases the mono cord. So, my question is, I have to plug in the mono cordfrom the Cyber Commander into the MIOPS trigger?

This depends on your specific need. However, the 3.5mm cable will not fit into the Cyber Commander, which has a 2.5mm jack. You will either need a stepdown adapter, a 3.5 to 2.5 cable, or a hotshoe adapter with a 3.5mm jack on it to connect to the Cyber Commander.

Alternatively, you can connect the MIOPS directly to one Einstein, and allow the others to slave optically. (The practicality of this may vary, depending on usage).

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ]