Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Equipment:
Einstein with Cybersync Transciever
AB1600 With CSR+ (AC-powered Cybersync+ receiver)

Sometimes when working outdoor events I'll get a client-supplied power feed (usually from a generator) that has a ground issue. This causes issues with the CS+/AB1600. The Einstein doesn't seem to care about the ground and still works fine. The only way the AB works is if I unplug the CS+ receiver.

Does anyone know whether the battery-powered CyberSync+ receiver will work in this situation?

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Site Admin

CSRB+ receivers can be a little more tolerant of grounding issues, but are not immune, and grounding may not be the issue at hand.

What characteristics are you seeing when having problems?

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Technical Support wrote:
What characteristics are you seeing when having problems?

The AB isn't triggered by the Cybersync Receiver, even when pressing the test button directly on the receiver itself.

I assumed it to be a ground (or some type of electrical) issue. A couple of my power strips actually have LEDs that indicate if there's a non-working ground and that was showing a problem the last time this happened. In one case the only change I made was moving to another circuit (with a good ground) and the problem went away.

The Einstein seems immune to such issues though, or at least it has been for me so far.

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:44 pm

Site Admin

Failure to fire via the RJ11 cable is possible with a bad ground, so that is the likely problem.

Top Top

#

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Technical Support wrote:
Failure to fire via the RJ11 cable is possible with a bad ground, so that is the likely problem.

I decided to experiment a bit.

I tried running power without ground through both and it wouldn't fire. (expected)
I then tried plugging the flash and the receiver into separate power feeds. One with a ground and one without. Regardless of the configuration, if either the flash or the receiver had a faulty ground the flash wouldn't trigger when the RJ11 was connected.

I'm wondering if anyone with a CSRB+ has (or would) try this to see whether it behaves the same way.

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:38 pm

Site Admin

The CSRB+ receiver would not be grounded in the same way as an AC power receiver. This leaves the light to have or not have a proper ground.

I have seen the problem persist when using a CSRB+, as well as being remedied by using a CSRB+. Much of will have to do with the nature of the problem and the specific tolerance of a given light. Someone else's experiment may not match your results.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]