Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:07 pm

Hello !!

Ultra WL 600

Ok, I searched and read most of the topics but never quite found one that matched exactly. The current problem is my Ultra 600 WL, CSR+ and Cyber set up. I am getting at best a 60 percent fire rate and at one point hit about 8 shots without a fire. I have powered down, powered up, changed channels, changed cameras, adjusted and readjusted the modeling light set up and even swapped out the CSR+ with another. I noticed the red dump light coming on staying on and I get intermittent firing with the test button on the head, as well as int on the csr+ test and on the CC test itself. It almost seemed the faster I would cycle the shutter the more reliable the flash got but still never more then 4 or 5 before a miss.

Note: I just received the CC and CSR+ setup from you. Up to this point adjusting everything manually and using radio triggers has never been a problem. Also, My AB400 fires at near 99.9% and My Ultra 1200 Just below that.

Time to scrap the Beloved 600???? :(

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:44 am

Site Admin

darrencontino wrote:
I noticed the red dump light coming on staying on and I get intermittent firing with the test button on the head...

I know you said previously firing the light sans telephone cord worked fine. Be sure to currently fire the light via the light's test button, both with and without the telephone cord. If you still get intermittent firing with no RJ11, it could be the light (check your flash tubes, make sure they are seated. Make sure the light is unplugged for 10 minutes before you do this.)

If the light is fine by itself, then I would suspect a grounding issue. Always start with power sliders on the light set to full. Then remove any extension cords or power strips. Also try changing the power cord for the light as well as use a different outlet, circuit, or if need be, building. The RJ11 remote system requires proper grounding to work, and any noise or marginal ground can affect one light more than another, especially older lights.

Also, make sure you are using supplied telephone cords, and make sure the 4 contacts in the phone jacks are uniformly spaced and of equal height.

Top Top

#

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Thank you for the quick response. Definitely the Light. Pulled and re seated the flash tubes and I was excited as it fired like 20 in a row then hit the wall. Even with everything unplugged, turned off and recycled. I couldn't get the light to fire even with the test button on the unit. I turned it off and will let it cool and try it with the poppers. might be a heating up issue and time to get a new light. Thanks again.

Off topic but anxiously awaiting my first Vagabond mini to be delivered ... Woohoo!!

D

Top Top

#

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Site Admin

If the dump light comes on, then that is an internal issue, and likely terminal in this light.

If the light just quits firing, but you get a ready light, then it could be damaged tubes and/or damaged tube connections. Maybe terminal, maybe not.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]