Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:45 pm

How would the ABs be affected by rain? I have an outdoor shoot tomorrow and there is a chance of rain. I know I can't wrap them up in plastic bags because of the internal fan. What would be the best thing to do? Just cover the top to prevent direct rain drops?

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Electricity and water (unless you're making hydrogen) are really not meant to play together.

I've had to shoot in the rain before, was young and dumb and lucky. Nothing went SNAP, CRACKLE or POP but I'd really advise against it.

If you have to do it anyway, try to shield the head as well as you can from direct rain with an umbrella or some kind of tent. And if you aren't using a modifier up front keep the modeling light off. Hot lights and cold rain are not a good mix either. No idea how a flash tube will react. Guess it all comes down to how hot it is when it gets splashed.

Be safe. No picture is worth getting fried.

Bill F

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks. Working in film production for many years we have always used out lights in the rain, never had issues, even in poring rain, even the HMIs with electronic ballasts. But they were designed to work in rain.

I know flashes are a different animal. I killed one of my camera flashes with water and payed through the nose to have it fixed. Just want to heard from AB tech people or Paul how they feel about ABs in the rain.

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Someone already asked this question, sorry I cannot find it right now.

Basically the answer from PCB was, No, the units are not designed to work in the rain, do not use them in the rain, bad things can happen if you use them in the rain, keep them dry.

AB.

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:41 am

Site Admin

they need to be kept dry. Waterproofing them will limit the cooling ability of the fan as air flow will be restricted.

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:40 am

Thanks, I'll keep them out of the rain.

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:49 am

You might be ok for the occasional drizzle but full on rain is another thing.
I had a shoot last weekend and it started raining. I left the light up for a little drizzle but quickly put everything away..

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]