Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:08 pm

My einstein is skipping triggers, sometimes it will activate flashes and sometimes I won't get any activation. I know it's localized with the einstein and not any of my wireless triggers, in the past I've had some success pushing the flashtube in because it seemed kinda loose. Is that a thing? Can flashtubes get loose and lose contact somewhere? Does it require sending it in for repair? Anyone have experience with this sort of scenario and know if I can fix it myself?

Thanks

Sam

Top Top

#

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:20 am

Site Admin

A loose flashtube can cause the light to not fire or fire intermittently. A tube that is broken (the metal contacts and such, not so much the glass) and making poor contact can also cause intermittent firing.

If this happens once, I would just chalk it up to an anomaly. If it continues to loosen, then there is something else going on. Perhaps it is not being reinstalled correctly, or it is possible for a loose tube to arc and damage the flash tube contacts and the contacts in the light. If you remove the tube, check for burn marks on the metal legs (There will likely be dark areas inside the glass. Those are OK.).

If there are burn marks on the legs, the light will need to come in for repair.

If there are not burn marks, then a proper reseating of the flash tube may help. If not, a replacement flash tube may help. If that still isn't the case, then the light will need to be sent in for repair.

Top Top

#

Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:21 pm

Thanks for the help! Up to now I hadn't taken a flashtube out, but I don't have to know much to know it's time for a new one. Whoops!

Based off of what you see here with the metal legs, am I in replacement tube territory or send in light for repair territory? I'm guessing the latter?

Top Top

#

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:53 am

Site Admin

How fast do you fire the flash? Rapid continuous firing can heat the soldered areas, potentially to the point of failure.

Otherwise, if the tube was not installed properly, it could have been making contact with the faceplate, which could have resulted in in arcing.

In either case, and by all visual clues provided, a replacement tube should rectify the issue, as the banana plugs are not charred. However, there is still a chance there is something else going on.

If you have a different E640, you can borrow the tube from it, and place it in this light and see the results. Or you can order a new tube, and see if it works, sending the unit in if it does not. You will need to purchase a new tube in any case.

Top Top

#

Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:43 pm

Great information! I tried a newer flashtube in there and it worked like new! The newer tube's third prong seems to have a different twisted wire design, the soldering info is good to know, I'm surprised the old one worked as long as it did in that condition. Just ordered the replacement, thanks for yalls help!

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 pm

I had the same trouble until the newer flash tubes were bought out. Now they are trouble free..

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]