Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:44 pm

I haven't seen this one addressed. I have three Einsteins nearing one year of age. The one that I use the most as my key light I suspect is beginning to misfire in two ways: either firing late in the sync cycle or by not firing at all (black frame). The late fires are the most numerous. In three prior shoots the total misfire rate is hovering around 2% of all frames shot.

Of course I'm not entirely sure whose fault this is. It could be the trigger (a CST), or the receiver (CSXCV) or the e640 Einstein itself (my guess). Or it could be the camera.

My camera is a Pentax 645Z, sync is 1/125th sec. When I used it at a workshop with a Profoto pack and head and ancient Pocketwizards, it performed perfectly, no misfires.

In cases where I'm using a 2nd or third Einstein light and the key misfires, the 2nd and 3rd have fired normally and can be seen in the shot providing fill or gelled accents or whatever.

I considered that perhaps the strobe hadn't time to recharge, but in checking the EXIF times the immediately preceding shots were many seconds or even minutes before.

In my next shoot(s) I'm going to rotate the Einsteins and start using #2 or #3 in place of #1, my current "key" light, to see what happens.

Based on my description, can anyone confirm that my guess about a bad strobe is good? Service return indicated? Or is something else in the system possibly implicated?

Thanks!

Here's a typical "late misfire" ...

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Site Admin

A couple of things.

1- have you replaced the battery, ever? CyberSyncs generally don't trigger late, but it could cause a failure to fire if the battery is low.

2-Have you checked the EXIF and ensured the shutter speed is indeed 1/125 or below? I have had cameras whose shutter speed dial will roll inadvertently (usually hanging from a strap) and I have seen where settings change for no apparent reason in some cameras. Conversely, Pentax DSLRs dont trigger at all above x-sync speed (or that used to be the case).

3-Do you shoot in the same environment every time (or everytime there is a failure)? Perhaps try changing the frequency.

4-Have you tried shooting at 1 click slower than x-sync? Are you in rear curtain sync? Are there any flash settings which may be unintended?

5-Can you try the PocketWizards for triggering in lieu of the CSXCV remotes and see if the lights still fire late.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:01 pm

Excellent ideas here; thank you!

Technical Support wrote:
A couple of things.

1- have you replaced the battery, ever? CyberSyncs generally don't trigger late, but it could cause a failure to fire if the battery is low.

I have not, no. I figured that with just a few thousand fires and less than one year old there'd be plenty of juice in there, but I can certainly try that.

But note that the other flashes always fire even when the one "suspect" one doesn't.

Quote:
2-Have you checked the EXIF and ensured the shutter speed is indeed 1/125 or below? I have had cameras whose shutter speed dial will roll inadvertently (usually hanging from a strap) and I have seen where settings change for no apparent reason in some cameras. Conversely, Pentax DSLRs dont trigger at all above x-sync speed (or that used to be the case).

That's right, Pentaxen never fire above the x-sync speed. And I've been using my cameras in the X position lately so the shutter speed is locked at 1/125th (or 1/180th for my K-3) and is not adjustable even by accident. The camera mode dial has a locking button so it can't be bumped.

Quote:
3-Do you shoot in the same environment every time (or everytime there is a failure)? Perhaps try changing the frequency.

I will try that.

Quote:
4-Have you tried shooting at 1 click slower than x-sync? Are you in rear curtain sync? Are there any flash settings which may be unintended?

I tried 1/60th sec for a while, yes.
Definitely not in rear-curtain.

Quote:
5-Can you try the PocketWizards for triggering in lieu of the CSXCV remotes and see if the lights still fire late.

That's a great suggestion, thanks.

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Another thing to try is setting the flashes for optical triggering as well as remote triggering. See if that gets you to 100% or not. If it fires more reliably then, then it's something remote-related (battery, or maybe something in the environment harming reception, etc).

Oh, one more thing is make sure your hotshoe hasn't come loose at all on the camera. I had a bunch of problems a while back, and finally realized what it was because the flashes would go off when I bumped the camera!

I'm a rodeo photographer and wear the hell out of my Einsteins, and recently switched to keeping optical triggering on. I'd been having certain flashes fail to go off - probably due to their position in the arena causing them not to get a reliable signal. Since I switched, I get 100%. That means if a Mom is standing too close with her p&s, she can set all my flashes off, but since I turn them down for super fast recycle, it's not a problem.

Top Top

#

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Update on this:

After varying and testing a number of things I realized that the issues occur only (afaict) in one place: my favourite studio. The studio has WiFi and there are many tenants in the building also with WiFi.

During my last shoot I adjusted the CC gear to channel 16 and I appear to have made it through the shoot with no misfires or late fires. I had already tried both channel 1 and 7, but it may be that 16 is above the WiFi range.

Fingers crossed that that will be the end of it.

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]