Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:18 am

I am looking to buy the wedding warrior combo from PCB and would like to know what my maximum shutter speed could be whilst using the Einsteins. I shoot with a Canon 5D MK3 and also use a 7D as a second body. I noticed the power of the Einstein can go all the way down to 2.5W or something like that. Does this relate to high shutter speeds in any way and give me the safe effect if I were to shoot at 8000/s?

Appreciate a response.

Top Top

#

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:12 pm

Site Admin

None of our products natively support High Speed Sync. There are some triggering methods (i.e. certain brand remotes) that rely on a long flash duration to allow the shutter to open and close withing that time.

However, with Einstein, the flash durations get shorter as power is reduced, and it does not take much reduction to make this type of triggering unusable.

There are two posts in the announcements section of this board that talk in depth about sync speed and high speed sync.

Top Top

#

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:26 pm

I've tried this, and with my 5D3 and Einsteins, I'm lucky to get a usable 1/250th - and that's with banding at the bottom.

To be useful in bright outdoor situations, you'll have to stop your aperture way down and/or add neutral density filters, but you may still have motion blur issues.

There are some rechargeable battery powered strobes that support HSS (via pulsing flash, like a Speedlight) or hypersync (slow-duration, like Tech Support said). I have a latter type unit and can sync to 1/8000th, though with a bit of banding along the bottom. It would be better as a wedding/event photographer, because the battery won't be dangling from the stand - much more convenient. A couple of them even have TTL, which would be a useful option in some event situations.

I'm wishing PCB would come out with their own such unit.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]