Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:27 pm

If I use the cyber commander and meter the flash and it shows power of F4. Am I able to raise the power on the CC to F8 and the Einstein will respond and if I meter it will show F8? Is it that simple?

For the regular AB's it is more trial an error right?

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:00 pm

Site Admin

It's that simple with all of our lights, with some caveats. For this to work correctly, you must be metering ONLY the flash you are adjusting. This means no other flashes firing via slave, and no competing high ambient light.

If you increase power, make sure the light recycles properly.

If you decrease power, make sure the power dumps, either by waiting, or by pressing the left joystick to test fire (this actually requires a couple of fires with Einstein).

Failure to ensure the light has settled on its new power can result in erroneous readings. Also, a change in angle or distance can influence meter readings, especially at close distances.

Also, there may be a .1f fluctuation in the reading, especially across a large power change. So, if you go from f/8.0'0 to 4.0'0, you could get an f/2.8'9 reading. Those not familiar with 1/10 stop meter readings may confuse this with a larger variation than .1f.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:56 pm

If you increase power, make sure the light recycles properly.
You mean do a test fire after change to power dump right?

If you decrease power, make sure the power dumps, either by waiting, or by pressing the left joystick to test fire (this actually requires a couple of fires with Einstein).
So if I decrease to get the correct power I have to test fire a few times. Ok So I know to expect that.

Failure to ensure the light has settled on its new power can result in erroneous readings. Also, a change in angle or distance can influence meter readings, especially at close distances.
But this is true for any strobe and light meter reading right? Again it sounds like if I increase power to a test shot first before metering. Same with reduction except test fire more.

Also, there may be a .1f fluctuation in the reading, especially across a large power change. So, if you go from f/8.0'0 to 4.0'0, you could get an f/2.8'9 reading. Those not familiar with 1/10 stop meter readings may confuse this with a larger variation than .1f.
My camera uses thirds. Is there a way to set up the Einstein to give readings in thirds?

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:17 pm

Site Admin

An increase in power does not require a dump/test, as it will simply add to the capacitor charge that is already there.

A reduction in power will require you to either wait for the auto dump or to make one or more test flashes.

There is not a way to switch the CC to 1/3 stop increments. A quick rule of thumb is '3 is 1/3 of a stop (or one click higher on your aperture control) and '7 is two thirds, or two clicks on the aperture control.

So, if you have a meter reading of f/8.0'7, you would set your camera to f/8 and up to clicks to f/10. Or if the meter reading was f/4.0'3, you would set your camera to f/4 and up one click to f/4.5.

Or if it is set to f/8.0'7, you can raise or lower the flash to any level you want, including whole stop increments, so you can raise it to f/11 or f/16 or lower it to f/8 or f/4 or wherever your heart desires.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks thats really helpful.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]